78rpm Restoration Tips and Tricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anubis,

Do you have the artifact suppression box checked on the CNF ?

Also, are you recording the songs "flat" or using a RIAA curve ?

Marc

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Hildebrant View Post
      Anubis,

Do you have the artifact suppression box checked on the CNF ?

Also, are you recording the songs "flat" or using a RIAA curve ?

Marc
      Prepare for newbie answer... I have the "mono" and "EQ defeat" button pressed on my receiver. I assume that would cause it to record "flat", correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

Unlikely, your receiver probably applies the standard RIAA curve to the phono input. The defeat/flat button just removes the treble and bass controls from the amplifier circuit - not the RIAA equalisation in the phono preamp.
        At work I may look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm actually quite busy

Comment

Originally posted by Doug View Post
          Unlikely, your receiver probably applies the standard RIAA curve to the phono input. The defeat/flat button just removes the treble and bass controls from the amplifier circuit - not the RIAA equalisation in the phono preamp.
          Doug is correct. What you have done is apply an EQ curve that is correct for LP's and not correct for 78 records. Also, the Mono function combines the L and R channels (L+R).

My suggestions:

1. Use a correct stylus for 78 records (You may be doing this).

2. If possible, buy a "flat" preamp from Tracer or Diamond Cut.

3. Connect the output of the Flat Preamp into the CD input of the receiver to allow you to set the levels during playback.

4. Record with no EQ (Tone controls) and Stereo.

Note: If un-able to use Flat Preamp, then record in Stereo, No EQ (Tone Controls), and apply a reverse RIAA curve (In software) to the recorded songs before you apply any noise filters.

You have learned a lot already!

Marc

Comment

You can reverse the RIAA curve and (at the same time) apply a 78 turnover curve by way of the Virtual Phono Preamp filter. If you are using a flat preamp, you can simply apply the 78 turnover using that VPP. I do this as a "first step" in the restoration process.

Craig
            "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

I think I may be improving (thanks to the kind help from everyone here!)

Here is my latest attempt. I reversed the RIAA curve, then did an EZ Impulse filter, then EQ, followed by a single CNF, and finishing with Doug's multifilter preset. I went with less aggressive settings, which allowed a bit more background noise to be heard. Anymore reduction caused it to become muffled.

Let me know your thoughts! :]

https://soundcloud.com/ben-hughes-63...as-apple-cider

Comment

Anubis,

Much better than the first one. The song retains the high end and has much more liveliness to it.

Some crackle left behind and a couple of "clicks" I heard.

I would suggest that you use "classic edit" and have the source the original and the destination the filtered result. Play the destination and when you hear a "click", look above at the source and manually fix the noise. Continue playing the destination and then re-do the filtering on the re-worked source.

Marc

Comment

To manually remove those remaining few clicks, do as Marc suggested. After highlighting the impulse, just hit the "I" key on your keyboard and it will be interpolated out of the signal.

Craig

Comment

Long period of inactivity...

Finally found time to begin dabbling again! Here is my current result, I am rather happy with it. I hope it sounds as good to you all!

Again, any pointers would be appreciated. Every little bit is definitely helping!

https://soundcloud.com/ben-hughes-63...ial-permission

Comment

Hi Anubis,

Sounds great and I love the tunes. I had never heard the first one before. Thanks for sharing your work with us.

Craig

Comment

Anubis,

Much better than your first attempt. Some noise is still present but much reduced (around the 2 minute spot).

Fun stuff !

Marc

Comment

Hi Again,

Going back and listening more carefully and after reading Marc's input, I did hear some impulse noise (a few pops and clicks) where he identified it. It is the kind of noise that can easily be eliminated by use of the interpolate (i) key on your keyboard. Just highlight the click or pop and hit the i key and it will become fixed.

Craig

Comment

Development!

I spent some time fiddling with settings again and managed to produce an even better result. I used a single, straight CNF, which I liked (for this song at least) the results. I also made use of the 45 rpm distortion preset on the Dynamics filter combined with Doug's Final DC8 78rpm filter to smooth the distortion on the high notes. The record is noticeably worn, so I was surprised with how well it cleaned up the distortion.

Please give your feedback :]

https://soundcloud.com/ben-hughes-63...-jangle-jingle
                            Last edited by Anubis; 04-28-2014, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Hi,

It sounds real nice (despite not knowing what it originally sounded like). Nice balance. My only suggestion is regarding a few remaining pops. Just goto the file, zoom-in on the pop(s), highlight just the pop and then hit the I key on your keyboard and it will be repaired.

Again, nice job!

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X