Kindle translations of .pdf users guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kindle translations of .pdf users guide

It has been noted that some Kindle Fire models have a slight error in translating the .pdf version of the users guide(s). The error is in terms of "bold" characters. Some characters that are not bold in the source document (Word and .pdf) are interpretted as bold when displayed on some Kindle Fire models.

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

I get the same on my Kindle Paperwhite, so it's not just the "Fire".

You might want to try downloading a copy of "Calibre" (at http://calibre-ebook.com/). There are other conversion softwares, but Calibre is supposedly the most popular. It's open source software for converting documents to MOBI (Kindle) and EBOOK (Nook) formats. I tried to convert the provided PDF file using Calibre, and it unfortunately didn't go so well (PDF is not the best format to use as a source); however, going from Microsoft Word to the ebook formats does work pretty well. Maybe something to think about offering versus a printed manual. My wife has an ebook she created in Word and is available in MOBI and EBOOK via Calibre.
    John

Comment

Interesting alternative. I guess we could perform the conversion and make it available on the website. It's not so clear if it would make sense to include it with every copy of the software. Thoughts?

Craig

Comment

I converted it to the .epub format. It is roughly 10 MBytes in length. Send me an email at dctools@aol.com and I will try to send the file to you (although it may be right at the limit of my email system - - - but we shall see). I will give it a try and you can see if it works on your Kindle.
        Last edited by Craig Maier; 03-26-2016, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Per our email exchange, it appears that the translation to Kindle MOBI format does work and does not exhibit the issues experience with the PDF version (although having a PDF version for a PC is still a great thing). And the Kindle version lets me set the font size I wish to read the document at. I'll try to see if a buddy of mine (who I know is a Nook user) can test the epub format.
          John

Comment

Ok - sounds good. I only gave you a .epub version so far because the .mobi is too big for my email. I guess you converted .epub to .mobi. Maybe both formats need to be published?

Craig

Comment

Working...
            X