Record Speed Chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record Speed Chart

Here is a Record Speed Chart taken from the Diamond Cut Users Guide which you may find to be useful.
    Record Speed Chart (RPM)

Record Type Speed: (RPM)

45s (Victor and others): 45
    Berliner 7 inch Records: 70
    Berliner (pre-1900): 57 to 72
    Berliner, Victor, Zonophone (early): 71.3
    Early Microgroove (some): 16.66
    Edison Black (wax) Amberols (2 min): 160
    Edison Blue Amberols (4 min): 160
    Edison Brown Wax Cylinders (early): 125 to 144
    Edison Brown Wax Cylinders (1892

-More can be found in your software user's guide and/or helpfile.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 08-25-2019, 11:22 AM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Very helpful, Craig.

Dan
    Dan McDonald

Comment

Hi Dan,

Sorry that the formatting is the way that it is here - - - I copied and pasted it from the Users Manual and all the "chart" based information got lost. But, glad that it is of use.

Craig
      Last edited by Craig Maier; 06-13-2014, 07:23 PM.

Comment

When I start doing some more 78s (I haven't done any in a while), I'll set up some speed change presets and put them in the exchange.
        Dan McDonald

Comment

Thanks - that would be great to have.

Craig

Comment

Checking through old threads, it looks like 45 rpm is a recommended transfer speed for transfer of 78s, (probably should say "78 type" given the speeds in the table) but 33.3 is not recommended.

Is that still good advice?
            Dan McDonald

Comment

Yes, it is, especially if the record is warped. However, you should transfer it via a flat phono preamplifier. Then, correct the speed from 45 up to 78.xx (or whatever it should be) and then apply the Virtual Phono Preamp Turnover Curve. If you use an Equalizer based phono preamplifier, the turnover frequency will not be correct, a problem avoided by using the flat phono method.

Craig

Comment

OK - all uploaded as presets (unless they weren't needed, such as 33.33 to 33.33.

I only did 33.33 to 16.66 because I didn't think there'd ever be someone transferring a 16.66 at 78. The rest all have 45 or 78 transfer speed presets.

I didn't do the cylinders because I figure everyone's cylinder machine probably runs a little off speed anyway and everyone can do that math themselves.
                Dan McDonald

Comment

Hi Dan,

Did you post the presets? Anyway, transferring a 16.66 rpm record at 78 would be nasty - - - the frequency response of the system would have to be 5 times higher than the highest signal of interest. I think that the flat preamps can handle that, but few phono cartridges would reproduce those. Also, it would probably damage the stylus and record. So, that is a good combo to ignore.

Craig

Comment

Hi Dan,

I should have looked at the presets sharing sector of the forum before I posted above. Just for everyones interest, Dans new speed presets can be found here:

http://www.diamondcut.com/vforum/for...ive6-and-Live6

Comment

Working...
                    X