Trying to Understand How to Use the CNF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marc,

Yes, that is the tradeoff. Large fft size yields better frequency resolution on a Hertz to Hertz basis (not octave to octave). But, large fft size also slows down the time domain transient response and can produce higher levels of digital artifacting. So, on the lower notes (bass) it is good to use high values of fft, but on higher frequencies (greater than ~ 0.5 to 1.0 kHz) good frequency resolution can be had with smaller fft settings because of the ever increasing number of Hertzes per unit Octave that exist up there.

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Thanks for all the really good advice. The settings for the CNF you suggested work perfectly. I'm still working on the EZImpulse thing, but that's coming along too.

My biggest problem now is that I can't actually monitor in real time. DC8 won't output sound through my video card's HDMI port while it's recording. The only way I can hear the output is if I run the sound through my M-Audio external audio interfacev which is then hooked up to my receiver, but then I lose 24/96 because the v Windows drivers are locked down to 24/44.1.

Fortunately that's a temporary issue because around tax time I'll be picking up a new interface and a pair of 8" JBL powered monitors.

Comment

Does your computer have an audio output jack of some sort? Maybe try using that instead of the video card's audio HDMI port. You will probably have to goto the DCPreferences to direct the software to the motherboard soundcard to do that.

Craig

Comment

I found this video on YouTube. It shows one method for removing noise with the Diamond Cut CNF. Of course, there are many variants, but this may be instructive to watch. It is around 7 minutes long:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF7LK5Z9PQc

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Maier View Post
            Does your computer have an audio output jack of some sort? Maybe try using that instead of the video card's audio HDMI port. You will probably have to goto the DCPreferences to direct the software to the motherboard soundcard to do that.

Craig

It does indeed, but I prefer using the HDMI port because that hooks directly into my receiver. I'm currently using the computer's line input to record because that gives me true 24/96, and if I plug in the headphones, I can hear the turntable output.

I'm not sure why it's not outputting from HDMI, but it's not a deal-breaker. So far I've found a work-around, but it would be nice not to have to use it.

One other possibility I've been looking at is getting one of those small miniSD card recorders and running the turntable from the preamp directly into that, and then transferring the WAVs to the computer so I can work on them in DC8.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Maier View Post
              I found this video on YouTube. It shows one method for removing noise with the Diamond Cut CNF. Of course, there are many variants, but this may be instructive to watch. It is around 7 minutes long:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF7LK5Z9PQc

Craig
              Interesting. And I can use this technique on regular LPs?

I'll have to give it a try...

Comment

Well, just make sure that the miniSD card recorder is of decent quality.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                X