.mp3 file would not open; it was a .wma file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .mp3 file would not open; it was a .wma file

Last week, a customer complained to us that Diamond Cut DC8 would not convert and open a .mp3 file that he owned. It had not been created with Diamond Cut software, but some other unknown program. I obtained a copy of the file from him.

The file was in the form xyz.mp3. When I opened it in DC8, some sort of conversion happened, but the file sounded like a Calliope. So, I knew it was not just random noise, but had some sort of intelligence therein. After some thought, and on just a hunch, I decided to change the .mp3 extension to .wma. Viola!!! It converted and opened and sounded fine in DC8! That certainly was a little streak of luck on my part.

I have no idea how that happened to the customer file, but it did and that was the fix for our customer. I wonder if this happens often??? Any idea how or why?

Craig
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-26-2015, 04:42 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

I would guess a problem in the software where the default is mp3 but they have the option for making a wma file, only there's a disconnect in the program so it doesn't automatically change the extension.

On a somewhat related topic, I also have come across several files where a dat tape was converted to a wav file and the wav file said it was 44.1 but it was actually 48. I was told the files were unlistenable. I edited the header file in DC8 and it was just fine. I think there are so many recording and conversion programs that people have made mistakes in programming, so unless you have an open sort of community like this one, the programmers never know about the mistake.
    Dan McDonald

Comment

Hi,

The Diamond Cut software looks at the extension and tries to convert whatever that is to .wav. It just takes the extension literally. So, it appears that the issue was on the file creation end wherein it created a .wma but gave it the .mp3 extension. However, I do not know what program was used to create the file. Anyway, there is always something interesting that can happen with software.

Craig
      Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-29-2015, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Yes, that was what I was thinking. Some sort of glitch in file creation of the program, with the default extension (mp3) applied to wma files instead of the correct extension. I've seen some files with no extension, and you just have to figure out what it is and rename it. Very odd stuff out there.
        Dan McDonald

Comment

I have not seen an audio file with no extension on it yet. Bet I see one shortly, now that you have mentioned it!

Craig

Comment

Working...
          X