Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 ?

Group,

Looks like Windows version 10.0 will be released soon. For some people that have windows 7 & 8, it looks like it is free.

Will the current DC8.50 work with Windows 10 ?

Marc
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 10-22-2019, 06:44 PM.

Hi Marc,

That's a good question. I do not know but I will find out and get back on that. I only know that DC8.5 works on Win 7 and 8 (it was actually beta tested on both of those systems, as I recall).

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Hi Again,

The answer at this point in time is that it has not been tested on Win 10. We will have to do that, but to perform a thorough test, it will take some time, so stay tuned in. (Actually, I discovered that we do not even own a Win 10 machine right now - we will have to buy one or set up a dual-boot for the testing process).

Craig

Comment

Hi again,

I can confirm that this task is on our project list with a high priority.

Thanks for your patience,

Craig

Comment

Here is a Win 10 / Diamond Cut DC8.5 compatability update from Rick:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Craig

I installed Win10 on this system. Not much different at first glance than Win8, but I haven’t played around too much yet.

I did try DC8.5 and it runs just fine. I did not try to install a fresh copy; I will do that later on.

Rick Carlson

Diamond Cut Productions, Inc.

www.diamondcut.com

Comment

Update - we have found an issue with both DC8.5 and Forensics8.5 on Win10. Neither programs are able to record. We are investigating the problem.

Craig

Comment

Update - we think that the soundcard drivers need to be updated for Win10 compatability; it may not be a problem with Diamond Cut DC8.5 or DCForensics8.5. Stay tuned.

Craig

Comment

Update - many functions have been tested on Win10 via DC8.5 and Forensics8.5 now. All Diamond Cut Functions tested seem to be working except for the record function, which gives an obtuse error code. All this testing was done on one computer having a Realtek Sound Card (which is actually a motherboard chip-set). We believe the soundcard driver is not compatible with Win10, but are still investigating the situation.

Stay tuned.

Craig

Comment

Update - when a microphone was plugged into the input jack, the Diamond Cut Products recorded via the mic using the Win10 operating system. So, somehow, the computer operating system sensed that no mic was plugged in and gave a cryptic error message. We now need to try to see if it accepts a line input.

Stay tuned.

Craig

Comment

FWIW, even in Windows 7 I couldn't get to the recording levels from DC7 or 8.x. Clicking on the button in the recording dialog brought up the mixer app, but in Windows 7 that only showed the playback sources not recording and (in SP1) could not be changed for recording. I had to go into Recording Devices from the speaker icon in the taskbar to adjust levels and mute/unmute sources. Is Win10 working that way?

And yes, a recent ("HD" audio) Realtek motherboard chip (which is also what's in my computer) does sense whether or not something's plugged in and deactivates channels without a source or sink. In fact, all of the back-panel (at least) sockets can be remapped more or less at will by the driver. So drivers could be an issue for Win 10 especially for older machines and chipsets. OTOH, supposedly if it worked in Win 8.x (i.e. there were Win 8 drivers for the sound chip) it should work in 10 - were there odd problems like that with 8 also?
                    Last edited by mikeebb; 08-07-2015, 01:36 PM. Reason: Caps Lock...

Comment

I think that the issue with input levels is a different problem. The input level controls for soundcards are not "standard" and vary in terms of communications from brand to brand. Thus, Diamond Cut can not always get to that "call".

We have never heard of any recorder problems with DC8 and Win8 and any soundcard or chipset. The issue we are trying to nail down is the recorder error message with the soundcard when nothing is plugged into the input. I believe that it comes down to what you have identified. It is a mapping issue of that input jack which can serve multiple functions on the Realtek sound card chipset. We will know shortly about that and will post something about it here.

Craig
                      Last edited by Craig Maier; 08-07-2015, 02:22 PM.

Comment

I will continue to hold off on my upgrade to Windows 10 till the "coast is clear".

Marc
                        Last edited by Marc Hildebrant; 08-07-2015, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Yes, if audio restoration is a major part of your usage, that would be a good idea.

Thanks and stay tuned.

Craig

Comment

Hi,

I received this email today from Rick regarding the recording issue:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just did some more testing and it does indeed work just fine. Win10 seems to be even more picky about only making audio available when something is plugged in.

I tested DC8.5 and Forensics8.5. I tried 11k, 44.1k and 192k and it all works ok. So I would say that Diamond Cut DC8 and DCForensic8 are compatible with Win10. I have not tried burning a DVD yet, but I am assuming that would work. The DVD drives are recognized.

Rick

Comment

Group,

I tried using Windows 10, but I quickly found that it was not , for me, a good upgrade for a desktop system.

My audio system is now returned to windows 7 (not a trivial task!).

Have others tried Windows 10 on their audio computer ?

Marc

Comment

Working...
                              X