"Save Destination as" causes 8.5 to hang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Save Destination as" causes 8.5 to hang

I was just "upgraded" to the latest windows and now when I try to save a destination, DC 8.5 hangs. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 06-17-2020, 11:51 AM.

What is your operating system?

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Windows 10 Pro - updated by MS 5/26/2018

Comment

DC8.5 is not supported on Win10. 8.5 was written long before Win 10. You need to upgrade to DCart10 if you want to run on Win10. They have been designed to work together and have been tested as such. The upgrade is $69.00 and can be found here:

http://www.diamondcut.com/st3/product/dcart10/

Thanks,

Craig

Comment

Odd - everything else with 8.5 works just fine. And, using Windows 10 two days ago, no problem. That, and when I exit, DC 8 WILL save the destination file. Go figure. The only problem is the "save as" function

Comment

Well, I just tried DC10. IT TOO will not do a SAVE AS. aLL MY OTHER PROGRAMS DO.

Comment

I do not know - - - I just did it here twice with DCart10 on Win10. Give a call at 973-316-9111. Something must be incorrectly set up on your system; we can figure it out.

Craig

Nonetheless, DC8.5 operating on Win10 is not a supported configuration. We do not even have DC8.5 running on our equipment here to test it. I suspect that your save as path setup is not correct.
              Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-27-2018, 05:55 PM.

Comment

We have not heard from you at 973-316-9111. Can we assume that you found the file path issue and resolved it? Please post something here one way or the other or call.

Craig

Comment

The problem persists. You're available today???

Comment

Call me now. I am here. It's 1:00 PM, EST on 5-28-18.

Craig
                    Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-28-2018, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Chuckie and I chatted on the phone about this issue yesterday. We think that we figured out the source of the problem, especially when another symptom came to light. Chuckie had downloaded the trial version of DCart10 the day before yesterday. When he tried to run DCart10 while we were on the phone, it would not permit many operations of filters, etc. It gave a message that the trial time period had run out. But, it is a 15 day trial that ran out in one day. So, as he was thinking about it, he recalled that Microsoft had performed an automatic update a few days ago to his machine. He think that update damaged his system somehow and he is looking into it. I will keep this thread updated as I learn more from Chuckie in case anyone else is confronted with the same problem

Craig

Comment

The problem persists, but the work-around is easy enough.

Comment

Obviously, we have no control over what Microsoft does, especially as it pertains to maintaining functionality on old software programs like DC8.5. The supported version of Diamond Cut is DCArt10. Consider upgrading to the shipping version.

Craig

Comment

I have both 8.5 and 10 running on a Win10Pro box, and since I use classic mode exclusively, I continually do a "Save Destination As". I've experienced no problems doing so. Two workarounds I would try are 1) Run in Win7 compatibility mode and/or 2) Run as administrator (running the program as administrator is not the same as being an admin user of the computer).

Another thing to try also might be to clean out the temp folder.
                            John

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds like it might be helpful to some folks.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X