Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how even out a tone (one note or word in a song) that wobbles up and down in gain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how even out a tone (one note or word in a song) that wobbles up and down in gain

I have some recordings that have a note here and there that has a warbling sound due to the gain going up and down. I can see it on the screen when I zoom in. I wonder if anyone has a good method to even out the gain on that one note so it doesn't sound like it is warbling?
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 06-17-2020, 11:47 AM.

Are you sure that the gain is going up and down and not the frequency? What is the source material? Is it magnetic tape or something else.

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

If it definitely is the gain going up and down, try using the dynamics processor in either Compressor mode or in ALC mode. The dynamics processor is found under the effects menu.

Craig

Comment

the problem is too much vibrato so I guess it more likely is frequency. How can I even it out if it is frequency?

Comment

If it is vibrato (a random variation in the frequency or Frequency Modulation) I know of no way to fix that problem. If it is Tremolo, (a random variation in the amplitude of the signal - - - up and down in gain), you can probably fix it with the dynamics processor found under the effects menu by applying the compressor or in an extreme case the ALC. There are a number of presets that you can try as a starting point.

Craig

Comment

I have a couple of ways to reduce the vibrato/tremolo problem. The Averaging filter works on some of them. I also use Mutli-filter with bandpass with 2000 and 2200 then the Dynamics filter. That works when, I think, it is both gain and frequency variations. Just wanted to post this in case it helps others.

Comment

Thanks for the information. We appreciate you sharing your experience.

Craig

Comment

Working...
              X