Correct RIAA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct RIAA

Craig, I'm not sure which RIAA I should select in the Paragraphic EQ for use when recording with the flat preamp. Mousing over the second choice doesn't allow me to see the entire printed line, making me unsure. All I see on my screen for the second selection is "RIAA Phono Equalization Curve - Improved Pr". Doesn't give me enough to go on...
    Is it just Improved Performance?
    Last edited by DJBohn; 11-04-2020, 09:44 PM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	VPP 2.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	54815 You should use the Virtual Phono Preamp (VPP) found under the Filter Menu. That produces a near perfect RIAA curve, especially at 48 kHz sample rates or higher (deviation from theoretical is +/- 0.1 dB over the audio spectrum from 20 Hz to 20 kHz. The paragraphic EQ presets for RIAA were an early attempt at the RIAA curve and not recommended to be used at this point in time give the newer technology of the VPP.

Craig
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 11-05-2020, 10:48 AM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

DJBohn,

My Restoration Handbook covers this subject in detail.

Marc

Comment

Thanks guys. What I really need to do is go to the Diamond Cut on a more regular basis to keep up with the advances - some of what I do is still based on what I learned way back in the DC32 & DC5 days. Been caught a few times now with my outdated practices. Most recently my continued use of the Paragraph EQ for the RIAA curve. Need to get with the times...

Comment

We will be running a holiday special commencing on black friday; maybe upgrade to version 10.7 at that time. The discount is deep.

Craig
          "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

I'll have to remember that. I am using 8.5.1 now with Windows 7 professional - I did notice 10.7 is still compatible with Windows 7 (yay!)

Comment

Working...
            X