Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Millennium will not play my 24 bit files.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millennium will not play my 24 bit files.

I get the following message in a window labeled "Wave open device".

The specified format is not supported or cannot be translated. Use the Capabilities function to determine the supported. formats.

This is a newly installed Audiophile 2496. This card is playing 24 bit files in other programs I use.

Thank you for your help.
    Bart

Re: Millennium will not play my 24 bit files.

I suspect that you are trying to play files recorded on a very particular piece of software (non Diamond Cut). One of our competitors has improperly realized 24 bit operation. My bet is that if you record with Diamond Cut in 24 bits, everything works just fine. What the competitor has done is taken 24 bits and just made the last 8 bit byte into zeros. That, to our understanding, is an incorrect implementation of the standard. If you need to be compatible with this system, we have created a feature in the DC5 version of the software that too replicates this same error (called 32 bit mode). It will play those files. To confirm that this is true, download the DC5 demo version. This feature is not available in Millennium. Does this help?
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Dear Mr. Maier,

Thank you for your response.

You are correct in that I had not recorded any 24 bit files in Millenium. Since then I have tried many configurations for record and playback utilizing the drivers (June 03) that came with my sound card and the udated (Nov 03) drivers I downloaded from M-audio's website.

I am unable to record or playback 24bit files in Millenium using the newer drivers. I am however, able to record and edit 24bit files using the older drivers in Millenium. I am unable to playback or preview those 24 bit files in Millenium. 24 bit files recorded in Millenium will playback in DC5 and my other program.

24 bit files recorded in DC5 will not play in Millenium.
      24 bit files recorded in my other program will not play in Millenium.
      24 bit files recorded in DC5 and my other program play in either of those programs.

I am not sure I utilized a 32 bit function in DC5 as you intended. I converted some 24 bit files to 32 bit files using DC5 and those 32 bit files played in Millenium.

I am dismayed. I should have purchased the hoontech card.

Thank you,
      Bart

Comment

Dear Mr. Maier,

I also wanted to point out the feature in DC5 that allows one to choose driver type. When I check MME type, 16 bit will play in DC5 but 24 bit will not. This emulates the problem I have in Millenium. When I check WDM type, 16 and 24 bit will play in DC5. I have not been able to find a driver type switch in Millenium. Is this the feature you spoke of?

Thank you,
        Bart

Comment

The feature that I was referring to in DC5 was in the recorder which allows you to record in 24 or 32 bits. Keep in mind that 32 bits is not really 32 bits of information (as in the concept that the sound card has 32 bits of resolution - - - it just is a method to simulate the bug found in a competitors software to correct it when using ours). However, the DC5 program defaults to WDM soundcard drivers. It can also be operated with MME drivers which is found in the preferences/soundcard menu. Millennium only uses MME drivers. It seems that something wierd is going on with your soundcard drivers here. Not sure what, but perhaps a combination of things based on the report. Have you tried calling the soundcard company to see if they have any new drivers comming out to fix this? You can not be the only one having this problem with that sound card, but we have not witnessed it here. I do not know how popular this card is.
          "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Dear Mr. Maier,

Thank you for your help.

I will be notifying M-Audio of my trouble.

I just tried a 24 to 32 bit conversion in DC5 again. It did not work. I thought an earlier 24 to 32 conversion played in Millenium but now I am not so sure.

Thank you.
            Bart

Comment

Working...
            X