fixed 24 bit record, still can't play 24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fixed 24 bit record, still can't play 24

Summary: Like some other users, when I upgraded to Windows XP from Windows 98, I could no longer record or play 24 bit - I would get the infamous "capabilities" error message. Reverting to a somewhat older M-Audio delta-66 driver fixed the recording problem but I still can't play (or preview) 24 bit data.

Equipment details: Compaq Presario 5888 - AMD Athlon 700MHz, 384M Ram, Sound cards: M-Audio Delta-66 and Sound Blaster PCI 128. Note: I have the audio functions of the Blaster disabled - I only use the MIDI interface on it.

Things I tried that had no effect on the problem:

Disabling SoundBlaster audio features.

Disabling mapping to the Delta66 card.

Attempted to disable O/S use of Delta66 for system sounds - in case the O/S was changing the driver settings for the system sounds.

Tried what one user suggested - reducing display resolution (not sure why this would make a difference anyway)

Other pertinent info: I can record and play 24 bit files in Cakewalk/Sonar without any problem - including files that were recorded previously in DC Millenium back when I was running Win98. If Sonar can do it, why can't DC?

Re: fixed 24 bit record, still can\'t play 24

If you completely disable the M-Audio and enable the Soundblaster, does it work? Please advise.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Please note. Millenium uses MME driver type only. DC5 uses MME or WDM.

I have the same situation using 24 bit files in Millenium with my M-Audio Audiophile 2496. I too was able to record when using an older Audiophile driver. I have not been able to playback or preview under any situation using 24 bits in Millenium. I tried the DC5 demo. When I select the MME driver in DC5 I can record 24 bits but not playback/preview 24bits. When I select driver type WDM in DC5, the program and sound card work fine in 24 bits.

It appears to me there are compatability issues using MME, Diamond Cut Software and M-Audio cards.

I did not want to upgrade to DC5 but did so as I am committed to using what I believe is superior audio restoration software. I can use this software with my M-Audio card by selecting WDM under the soundcard tab in DC5 preferences. You may want to try the DC5 demo for yourself.

Bart

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        If you completely disable the M-Audio and enable the Soundblaster, does it work? Please advise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that the SoundBlaster PCI128 card only supports a max of 16 bit. Nevertheless, I gave your suggestion a try just in case there was the possibility of some interesting or informative result. However, I still couldn't play 24 bit & I could no longer record 24 bit.

Even if it had worked, it wouldn't have been a very satisfying solution because the PCI128 audio in/out is very noisy and even apart from the noise, the audio doesn't sound nearly as good as the Delta-66.

Comment

It sounds like I am at a dead end in terms of what DC Millenium can do unless the developers see fit to add WDM support to DC Millenium.

The next time I tackle some recording project, I may consider getting DC5 (thanks for relaying your experience on this point). My biggest use of DC Mill so far has been to clean up recordings I made using (among other things) a Yamaha TX7 FM synthesis module (DX7 in a box). Other than that, I mostly just play around with cleaning up favorite songs on old lps. Being able to at least record in 24 bit now allows me to normalize the gain and do some processing before converting to 16 bit (although not being able to preview the 24 bit results conveniently is a pain).

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            It sounds like I am at a dead end in terms of what DC Millenium can do unless the developers see fit to add WDM support to DC Millenium.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, I should add, unless M-Audio sees fit to improve their MME support.

Comment

Just to be clear - I was not suggesting that the Sound Blaster would necessarily be acceptable. I just wanted to know the results of the experiment since it is a "different" card. We have seen other issues with the M Audio sound card. We do not understand them except to say that it seems that the DC5 version seems to work because it supports WDM drivers.
              "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
              X