mini-disc as source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: mini-disc as source?

Thanks, Rick. This is interesting. Looks like the MP3 format at 128 cuts out nearly all the information above 14k, or am I misinterpreting the graph?

For a lot of MP3 stuff when I used the spectrum analyzer, it looks like it drops off even lower - around 10-12k. I imagine that the dropoff is associated with low encoding fequencies as Peter mentioned. Is there a formula for figuring out how much is lost based on the encoding frequency?

I still wonder how MD would compare to a decent portable cassette recorder of about 10 years ago.

Dan
    Dan McDonald

Comment

Dan
      You are correct, the bandwidth is down around 14 to 16kHz, but notice that it is not a constant. The MP3 compression algorithm will try to preserve signals that are above the perceptual threshold if possible.
      There is not a simple formula that will correlate bandwidth to bits/sec. It is obvious that lower bitrates will reduce the bandwidth, but how much depends on the music, the amount of stereo separation and the actual spectral content.

Rick

Comment

Thanks, Rick.

Also, as was mentioned before, I would assume that how much is lost depends on how much is present. That is, recording a rock concert, where everything is amplified and you are already limited by the band's p.a. system, microphones, etc., may give pretty decent results with a mini-disc or mp3 format, whereas unamplified acoustic music, such as a symphony orchestra or bluegrass band on the street, may lose a lot more because the full range of the instruments is available for recording?

Dan

[This message has been edited by Dan McDonald (edited 05-21-2002).]
        Dan McDonald

Comment

I would generally agree with that. Dynamic range, bandwidth and musical complexity all play a part. You would also be much less critical of a rock concert recording because of the compression and bandwidth limitations.

Rick

Comment

Working...
          X