Help for hearing aid wearers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help for hearing aid wearers

I recently had my hearing tested and am now wearing hearing aids. I selected the smallest models (in the ear channel) as they can usually be worn with headphones with out going into feedback. Sometimes this doesn't work, however. If I were to get a copy of the gain curve for the aids (they are digital, and have different correction curves) would there be any way to add that to the sound being sent to the headphones, without effecting the wave files?

That is, when I preview a filter, or just listen to the file, I would like the program to perform the same amplification as the hearing aids, but not to do this when actually processing the files. I suppose I could define multifilters (with different equalizations on each channel?) for every thing I do, but that seems like over-kill.

Re: Help for hearing aid wearers

With the aids I have I can sometimes use the headphones without removing the hearing aids, but it is a bit "iffy", with a slight movement of the headphones triggering feedback.

What I want to be able to do is perform equalization, etc., on a wave file and have to effect of wear the hearing aid in my headphones, but not in the resulting filtered wave file. In other words, I would like to hear what someone with normal hearing would hear when listening to the resulting file.

I assume that I could set up a miltifilter, with two instances of the parametric equalizer, the last one matching my hearing aids, while the first would be the one I was fiddling with. But from previous posts I would quickly swamp the .ini file. What I would like would be the ability to set up the pseudo-hearing aid and have it be always interposed between the "real" work and the headphones. I suppose I could use an outboard equalizer, but was hoping that I could avoid the expense.

I don't really know what the difference is between the left and right ears. I am not home at the moment, so it will be at least three weeks before I can ask my audiologist for a copy of the curves.

Comment

Re: Help for hearing aid wearers

First, I want to be sure that I understand what you are trying to do. I take it that you must remove the hearing aid when using the headphones because of the feedback problem. Is that correct? If that is correct, I take it that you now want to superimpose the resonse of what your hearing aid produces onto what you hear in your headphones sans the hearing aid. If that is correct, I think that can be done without too much difficulty. The paragraphic equalizer is ideal contouring almost any frequency response curve. Please advise if am understanding your concept correctly. Lastly, is there a large difference in the response of your left versus your right ear?
      "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
      X