Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for ALL on

Hi All,

Further to a thread introduced by Hophead, where he was using the Adaptive Filter to aid in the removal of crackle, I have found yet another use for this filter.

The Adaptive Filter can be used very effectively to remove that annoying "SSSSSS" sibilant sound that can be introduced by running the Impulse Filter a little too hard (it can also minimize the distortion the Impulse Filter can introduce when being run too hard). Try the following settings, I used these with great success on a particular recording which was VERY "SSSS'y", even when bypassed.

Convergance set anywhere from 0.8 to 1.0, Filter Length set to 32 (the lowest setting), and the Reference Signal set to "Time Delay" between 0 to 10 (I used 3 for this recording). Another thing that the above settings tend to do is minimise the "flanging" effect that can be sometimes introduced using the Continuous Noise Filter.

There's only ONE problem using this method, it will making a STEREO recording effectively output as MONO (both channels with the same info). Rick, maybe there is a way of having the Adaptive Filter process each channel seperately and retain the stereo image to some degree?????

I hope this tip helps others as I have found a must have on many occasions where nothing else will work.

Regards,

Jason Begley - Multimedia'n'Music - AUSTRALIA http://www.multimedia-music.com.au
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-21-2019, 09:52 PM.
Working...
X