Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millenium is too fast

Hi everyone,
    Is their any way to slow down the operation of Millenium? As an example, the Impulse Filter finishes almost instantaneously & before I've had a chance to see the results of a scan, the number of pops removed, etc.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 10-11-2019, 08:28 AM.
    "You earthlings are all fools, fools, fools, do you hear me ..." Plan 9 From Outer Space

That is an interesting question. Most of the time, people want faster. I do not know of any way to do that other than to use a slower computer. Had we anticipated that request, we could have designed something into the software to pace the math at a slower rate. Are there others out there that want this feature? Please advise.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

I don't see any use for it myself, unless it did that by limiting how much ram was being used or something - so for example, if you're working on something else, you can put the software on "slow" so that it was easier to multi-task. It seems like the more memory you get in a computer, the more the software gets written for, so you never really can get to the point where you can multi-task easily.

When I had 128 mb ram I could burn a CD fine, but it took all my memory. Now that I have a gig of ram, I can burn a CD fine, but it takes all my memory... something's odd about that. DC-Art doesn't use anywhere near as much as a lot of software does.

But I guess it would only help with DC-Art if other software makers did the same thing - let you apportion where you wanted to put your memory... Otherwise, if you do it for DC-Art, it will just slow down and the other programs will just eat up whatever is being saved.

Dan
      Dan McDonald

Comment

I think that Lord Theo's problem is that he can not see the statistics for the Impulse filter sometimes because it runs too fast. So, I think that he just wants to slow Diamond Cut down if I am reading it correctly so that he can watch the statistics as it processes through the file. Maybe another solution is to create a history file of the events and log them to be read at a later time. But I am not sure.
        "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

You do get the statistics when you preview, which of course is at real time speed. What is the reason to see the statistics when you are running? The results should be the same.
          Rick

Comment

More Info, Please

Lord Theo,

Help me out. I'm trying to understand how the information you would obtain by slowing down the process could be put to practical use. I'm afraid I might be missing something. I know on occasion I watch the clicks per second in preview mode. I compare that to the condition of the original and sometimes I can get a feel for whether my settings are too low, leaving clicks, or too aggressive, causing distortion. Even this can be misleading because I rarely remove clicks with just one pass. At best this is an adjunct to what my ears are telling me. It's interesting to see the stats but I've yet to make decisions based solely on them.

Unless I learn something new, I think adding a way to slow down the sofware would be way more trouble than it would be worth. I think programming efforts could be better utilized.

Doug

Comment

More Info Please

Hi Doug,

Like yourself, I run the Impulse Filter multiple times. Not completely trusting my ears, I look for the number of clicks to decrease to under 100 before continuing elsewhere. Since re-installing Millenium on my new PC (much faster than my old PC), the Impulse filter scans a 3-minute WAV file in under a second, the progress box comes and goes in the wink of an eye. I wish there was a way to slow this down JUST SLIGHTLY so that I might see the results of a scan and not have to rely only on what I'm hearing.
              "You earthlings are all fools, fools, fools, do you hear me ..." Plan 9 From Outer Space

Comment

That's what I thought

Lord Theo,
                That's the way I thought it could be of use. Boy your new computer sure is quick! I just upgraded, but I don't think mine's quite that fast.

Perhaps you could run a bunch of other programs, especially Photoshop, at the same time to eat up some of those CPU cycles ;-).

Best of luck,

Doug

Comment

Thank you all...

for your input. Doug, I'll do what you suggest, will open MS office & my Adobe applications & see what happens. In spite of it all, I still think Millenium is easily the best thing out there for an "intermediate" user such as myself....onward ever onward to the continous noise filter.

Comment

Working...
                  X