Longer impulses - stuff in grooves(?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longer impulses - stuff in grooves(?)

I've come across another interesting vinyl deformity I'm looking for advice on how to work around. The best way to describe this is imagine a streak 1/4" wide across part of the radius of the LP. It's not the normal scratch but looks like some stuff (that won't be cleaned away... despite my attempts) is in the grooves. The audible symptom is a classic click (as the stylus hits it) followed by a short duration crackle (as it tracks through it). Examination with the "zoom in" feature, clearly shows a low level impulse followed by a lot of "jaggies" (crackle/distortion) in the music.

The impusle filter has very limited effect on the initial click (but some) and no effect on the "jaggies"/ crackle so you hear a short duration hiss and crackle each turntable revolution as it goes through the "stuff". The only effective way I've had to deal with it was the very tedious paste over process (since this goes on for an inch or so of radius). The region is too large for interpolate and it would cause a very audible sound drop out. High frequency filtering works but the noise frequency is so broad you really kill the music.

Any advice on how to better approach this problem would be appreciated.
Working...
X