peak limiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peak limiting

I convert some of my filtered lp files to mp3 and mix them in with other mp3's from ripped cd tracks, all stored my office pc. The perceived volume of the lp mp3 has always been much less than that of the cd mp3, notwithstanding gain normalization on all of them and 3% or 4% compression on some of them. In looking at the wave form display, it occurred to me the culprit is always what I consider high transient peaks above the main body of the wave form, which is where "volume" is. Not finding a peak limiter preset anywhere in the dynamics processor or punch & crunch, a couple of days ago I set out to create one. I ended up starting with the "general compressor" preset in the dynamics processor, setting the threshold anywhere between -5 db and -10 db (depending on the file), sliding the ratio up to its max...29% I think...and dropping the attack and release sliders to their bottoms, then setting the output at zero gain. I saved these basic settings as "Peak Limiter". I ran this on several files that I had "finished" treating, after which normalizing the gain on them again. So far the result is very good. I vary the threshold on each file, depending how hot I want it. Those high transient peaks are shaved down nicely and there's no breathing effect, and the result the perceived volume is about the same as the cd mp3's. Just wondering if anyone else has been using this practice for a longer period of time and their thoughts on it.

Danny Gilbert
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 10-20-2019, 11:22 AM.
    Danny Gilbert

Re: peak limiting

Nice job - you created the limiter function correctly. The next version of our software will include a Limiter preset in the Dynamics processor.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

There are now two presets for this found under the dynamics processor:

Limiter
      Limiter - Fast Acting

Craig
      "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
      X