Gain pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gain pain

I've got a source recording with noticable clipping throughout so I used the Graphic EQ to knock the distortion down completely. Now when I use Gain Normalize, all the distortion comes back and I'm back where I started. Any other ways to get rid of the original distortion or to not make it reappear?
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 07-05-2019, 10:08 PM.

Re: Gain pain

I'm rather surprised to hear that normalizing, which should only change gain, would somehow change the recording spectrally. I don't suppose there's any chance that when you normalized, you started with the wrong version of the file?

Otherwise, if the recording really needs to be normalized, perhaps you might try to normalize it first, and then process to remove the distortion as the next step.

Also, the forthcoming Live5 version of the program has a "De-Clipper" function which may work better than what you have tried.

Comment

Re: Gain pain

I do not know any reason why the distortion would have come back except for one, potentially. The overall song would have been louder, but not more distorted, unless you gain normalized to a value greater than 0 dB. Any value above 0 dB would have re-clipped portions of the wavefile.
      "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
      X