CPU's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU's

I'm getting ready to replace my computer.
    Will there be any real difference in how Diamondcut runs between a Celeron and a P4 that are of the same stated speed?

Thanks

Re: CPU\'s

Hi Beautman,

The BIG difference between Celeron and P4 processor is the speed at which the Front Side Bus (FSB) runs at.

The Newer Celeron CPU's (478 pin) generally run with a 400Mhz FSB, where the Newer P4 CPU's run at up to 533Mhz FSB.

The FSB determines how fast data can be exchanged between processor and RAM, and to some extent other peripherals (like HDD).

If you want something that will really "rocket" consider going for a P4 2.4Ghz (with a 533Mhz FSB), and either an Intel 845 or 850 chipset based motherboard, also check out which Motherboards available to you have ATA133 HDD controllers on them (the very least you will get is ATA100, which flies anyway).

To give you an idea, I recently built a system for a customer of mine over here in Australia, who "used" to run an IBM Cyrix 300Mhz processer. He now runs a P4 2.4Ghz (533FSB) with a Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM Drive with 8MB Cache, and now you can almost "blink" and most processing tasks in Millennium are over and done with.

Another point worth making is to consider using W2K, we found 15-20% speed increase over W98SE.

Hope this is of assistance.

Regards,

Jason Begley
    Multimedia Music - AUSTRALIA http://www.multimedia-music.com.au

Comment

I just got a 2.2 gHz P4 with Win2k and used to have an 800 mHz with win98. A lot of things are slower with the new machine, but this software is considerably faster. I read somewhere that multi-tasking and complicated tasks tend to be faster with w2k and simpler tasks tend to be slower. That seems to be true in my experience as well.

Dan
      Dan McDonald

Comment

Dan,

Go into the system properties of your computer via vontrol panel, and under the advanced tab select performance options, and click "Background Services", if it is not already done.

W2K defaults to "Applications". If it is already set, try the other and see how that goes.

Regards,

Jason Begley.
        PS. It also pays to make sure that you have the very latest Video Card drivers etc, as "older" Video Card drivers can especially slow W2K and XP performance.

Comment

Very helpful. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X