Hollow Sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hollow Sound

The manual indicates the Graphic Equalizer is the tool to solve this problem.

Any ideas on the settings?

I can't get the CNF to do much with it either.

Thanks.

Jim

Re: Hollow Sound

What kind of hollow sound? The cnf tends to create a hollow sound if it's too aggressive (at least it creates a sound that sounds to me like it's "hollow").

Dan
    Dan McDonald

Comment

Dan:

You are right about the CNF creating a hollow sound if set too agressively. You also get a kind of whirling business too.

That's one part. In most cases I have not created the hollow sound. The material already contains it.

The other is, it sounds like you are in a well.

Thanks anyway.

Jim

Comment

HI All,

Noticed the above posts and thought I would "throw my two bobs worth in".

With regard to the CNF, try the following;

Take your noise sample, and raise the Threshold (2 clicks in DC Mill/Live 4.XX, or 6 to 8 clicks in FIVE/LIVE 5)
        Set Your Attack to 40, and Release to 80, and adjust the Attenuation from 0 upwards (whlist in Preview Mode) until the noise/hiss goes away.

We have found this method to be VERY effective in removing surface noise and tape hiss from recordings.

Hope this is of some help to all out there.

Regards,

Comment

Hey Jim -

You can help the hollow sound a bit with what Craig referred to as "blind deconvolution" that was posted earlier. I've experimented with it but it's pretty complex to do correctly.

Dan
          Dan McDonald

Comment

here is the post about blind deconvolution.

http://www.diamondcut.com/ubb/ultima...c;f=1;t=000129

If this doesn't take you there, it was called "reversing" presets and was about a year ago.

Dan
            Dan McDonald

Comment

With regard to the raw material sounding hollow (if by that you mean it's on the thin or tinny side) I think I know what your referring to. Up until a couple of weeks ago I still hadn't found a way to "fatten" the sound like I wanted, then I discovered the Purist 1 preset in VVA. Hallelujah that's what I'm talkin' bout. The overall effect adds fullness and richness to mid and low range. The preset drive setting of 5 yields a noticable improvement and a little goes a long way...so far I've found going over drive 10 is too much...usually it's anywhere between 5 and 7. Used in conjunction with a sweet VVA preset in Multifilter is getting the sound a lot more like I want it. Hope this helps.

-Danny
              Danny Gilbert

Comment

Thanks Guys.

I'm most gratefful for the direction.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                X