Some Initial Help Needed Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Initial Help Needed Please

I posted this this notice in the DCart 32 forum, but received no comments- perhaps someone in this forum can help? Since I posted it I read about the Radioshack inexpensive 9 volt preamplifier, but these are no longer available. I have also received and installed the new Dcart 32 v 4.01software but keep pulling up DCART v 1.2 that I had installed a few months ago. I do not seem to be able to de-install this software: what files need deleting?

"I am eagerly awaiting delivery of Diamond Cut 32 v 4.0 any day now!.

I have a three-speed Dual CS 5000 Turntable with an Ortofon X1MC cartridge.

Normally I run Apple G4s, but I bought a Dell Dimension 8200 2.0GHz w/512MB RAM and a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card specifically to restore my record and tape collection -- so I have to learn PCs!

Can anyone advise me the correct protocol (not the wiring) to feed the audio in -- I suspect I need a pre-amp and equalization for 78s, 45s & LPs from 1952 - 61 (UK) and Lps from 1961- present (Canada & USA)
    Any "processing" tips for the novice will be sincerely appreciated: my platters, for the most part, are in very good condition and all well cared for."
    Any guidance would be sincerely appreciated
    Malcolm

Re: Some Initial Help Needed Please

Sounds like your install of v4 did not work. I would uninstall the old version first then re-install. Some Windows programs have (to me) the rather annoying habit of not removing the old version and installing the new in its own directory but I don't see the usual signs (separate directories) on my machine.

To uninstall,
    Select start/settings/controls panel
    Double click on Add/Remove Programs
    Select DCArt
    Select Add/Remove..

This should remove everything important. Just deleting the files will leave some garbage in the Registry.

The c:/Program Files/Diamond Cut Productions directory and the desktop icon should be gone.

Now try again to install.

Yes, you will need a phono preamp between the cartridge and the analog input of the sound card. Or use the line out or tape out from a receiver or integrated amplifier which has such a preamp.

Most phono preamps will use RIAA equalization. You can buy ones with adjustable equalization but they tend to be expensive. Initially better to re-adjust the equalization for old 78's in the software.

The manual is a pretty good tutorial on how to process the audio. And the guys on this board are usually a lot of help when you get to more specific questions. Rick and Craig (the authors) are, as expected particularly helpful.

Good luck and report back if you're still having problems.

Comment

Malcolm,

As far as phono input is concerned, here are three ideas:

1. Feed the phono cartridge signal into the Mic input of your sound card. I have seen this recommended, but I've never done it. If you do, you will have to apply the RIAA curve to your 45's and LP's with software. The good news is you won't have to use software to remove the RIAA curve for your 78's. You could try this method first, since you'll just be out of the cost of the connector.

2. Look for an inexpensive pre-amp from Tracer (http://www.tracertek.com/index.htm) or KAB (http://www.kabusa.com/INDEX_PP.HTM). They have all levels of pre-amps.

3. Shop ebay for an NAD pre-amp or integrated amp. NAD has had a reputation of having phono stages that rival equipment costing many times more. You should be able to pick up a nice integrated amp for around $100.00 from someone upgrading to home theatre. Shop carefully and you'll get a good unit. If you buy an integrated amp, it can be the basis of your monitoring equipment.

Once you're set up, be patient. Diamond Cut gives you a lot of tools to accomplish the task. You can get satisfactory results quickly, but it will take time to develop a workflow and be able achieve maximum results. Listen to your restorations on several playback devices. What sounds good on your monitoring equipment might not sound so good on your main listening equipment or your car stereo. Also, read up on CDR's. There's lots of controversy, especially on longevity. There's more to the issue than being able to successfully burn a disk. Some folks have found out that cheap disks won't that were fine when made won't play back after a year or two. I always make a copy of the raw file and my finished result on archive quality CDR's, one disk for raw and one for the finished product. The difference in price between no name disks and archive disks (Kodak Ultima Gold, etc.) is less than having to spend the time to do another restoration. Also, by saving the raw file, I don't have to start from scratch when I improve my restoration ability. I've gone back to records I've previously restored and done them again with much better results, especially restorations I did when first starting out. One last note. Buy some good quality headphones (Grado) so you won't drive the rest of the family crazy!

Good luck,
      Doug

Comment

DR Dave :Thanks for your help.The installation problems are now cleared and I am ready to start when my preamp arrives.
        m

Comment

DougMac: Your help greatly appreciated. I was able to find a suitable preamp (with RIAA), so I will need to use the reverse RIAA curves on the 78s. I have made some amateurish first attempts with fairly good results and understand that care and patience is needed to do it right . I too had the same idea of copying untouched material to a CD (do Sony CDQ-74CN discs have good life?) so that I never have to set up to do again in case of processing disaster. One thing I did to get going was to record some78s to Beta Hi-Fi then feed VCR output into the sound card -- worked quite well and no perceptible tape hiss/noise added.
          m

[This message has been edited by Malcolm (edited 08-22-2002).]

Comment

I would be very careful about connecting your phono cartridge to the mic input of the sound card.

First, a phono cartridge is designed to work into a very specific impedance at the preamp... I believe 47,000 ohms bridged by a small capacitance (I don't recall the value). If your sound card's mic input has a different impedance (and it almost surely will!) then the equalization will be changed by some unknown amount. And if you don't know how much it's changed, you don't know how much to correct for it in software.

Worse, many of today's mic inputs supply about 1.5 volts of DC coming OUT of the sound card! This is intended to power the small electret mic elements found in headsets and the like. If you apply that DC to your phono cartridge, it will at the very least cause magnetic saturation of the windings, which will again change the frequency response and may also produce distortion.

Worse yet, that DC voltage (from the sound card) could possibly cause some permanent damage to the phono cartridge!

IMHO, you should only plug your phono cartridge into a preamp that is designed specifically for that use.

[This message has been edited by greg_m (edited 08-27-2002).]

Comment

Greg_m: Thanks for you information and warning about mic inputs for mag cartridges. I have not done this so I will be okay since I will use an RIAA preampwhich has the appropriate input characteristics from a vendor source by DougMac.
              What does IMHO mean?
              Thanks,
              malcolm
              ps: the timeliness, participation and helpfulness of these forums is amazing to me. Feedback from the software designers and their associates is also first-class.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Malcolm:

What does IMHO mean?
                <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMHO: "In My Humble (or Honest) Opinion"
                FWIW: "For What It's Worth"
                SOL: "Oh, you got it at Radio Shack"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>

the timeliness, participation and helpfulness of these forums is amazing to me. Feedback from the software designers and their associates is also first-class.
                <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree wholeheartedly. I am amazed at the interchange in the beta test forum, the developers are excellent!

Compare that with Arboretum, where I EMailed a bug report (for a $500 program!) AND reported it by phone in July, and still haven't received a reply, except that the rep told me on the phone "you know I have other things to do besides worry about this kind of stuff."

[This message has been edited by greg_m (edited 08-27-2002).]

Comment

Working...
                X