Cleaning up a 78 RPM home recording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning up a 78 RPM home recording

I'm trying to clean up an old sound recording for my father, and I'm not entirely satisfied with my first efforts (using DC6). I'm looking for suggestions on approaches or techniques I can try.

The recording is a composite of several that were made of my mother, my sister, and myself between about 1944 and 1954. It was originally made on some type of home recording system that cut a 78 rpm disk. It was re-recorded to 1/4" tape, probably sometime in the 1960s, and later re-recorded from there to cassette, which is what I have to work with. I digitized the sound in stereo (the two tracks appear to be identical except for volume) at 44.1 Kb, 24 bits.

The fidelity is awful, and I know I can't do anything about that. There is a lot of background noise that I would like eliminate, though. Most of it sounds like AM radio static; I assume it was caused by lots of dirt on the 78 rpm record, or something similar.

So far my best results have come from a two-step process. First, I applied the EZ-Impulse filter with scratch=50 and crackle=50. Then I applied the Continuous Noise filter with attack=25, release=50, and attenuation=30. This makes the sound much easier to hear, but the snap/crackle/pop noises are still quite obvious, and fiddling with the controls in both filters doesn't seem to do much to reduce them.

I would need to have a sample to evaluate. First, convert it to 16 bits, 44.1 KHz. Then send me 10 seconds of the material. I will get back to you after evaluating the noise problem.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
    X