Nab tape playback curve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nab tape playback curve

When does one use the NAB Curve in the Paragraphic EQ?

I have about 10 Reel-to-Reel Masters (1:1 Reel-to-Reel Copies and DAT copies of same made for me by a Christian record company from the 60's; one from the late 70's). I'm using the DAT as I don't have a reel to reel recorder any longer. Should the NAB curve be used on them? If so, what would the settings be for them - the reels are 2 track, 15 ips.

I was playing around with it - seemed to brighten the sound, but don't know. Seemed like highs were too high. (?) But . . . I have to admit I don't have a good ear.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 03-31-2019, 03:05 PM.

Re: NAB TAPE PLAYBACK CURVE

The NAB curve should only be used if you are taking the signal directly off of the recording head of your tape deck. Many early pro decks offered this option, and so we provide the means to reverse the EQ curve for those that want to bypass the tape decks preamplifier. The sound will not be correctly eq'ed if you play the tape through the tape decks pre-amplifier and then also apply the NAB curve using DC Art.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Thanx Craig -

In playing with it again later last nite, actually what I was using was the REVERSE NAB Tape Playback. It seemed to really sound a lot clearer and sharper than not using it - the other seemed muddy.

But this should not be used either?

Dave

Comment

It all depends upon the quality of the original tape recorder. Many early and or low cost tape recorders did not adhere to the NAB standard for pre-emphasis. If that is the case for your particular recording, then the reverse NAB curve could help. Also, the NAB curve was sometimes used for early mono vinyl recordings (around 1955), just as a subscript to this discussion.

Comment

Craig -

These were done by WORD Records in the late 50s and early 60s (1958-1963), the ones I'm primarily referring to. WORD contracted a studio to make the DAT copies for me (for a friend) about 10 years ago. So I would think that their recorders were high quality.

These albums were produced in MONO.

My reference to "the other seemed muddy" was in relation to the recording as I did it without using this feature. Was just experimenting with it, and I thot it really jumped to life and became so much clearer.

Thanx again.

Dave

Comment

At the end of the day, it is hard to know how a tape was originally EQed. Generally, NAB was the standard. But, some studios modified their machines to their own tastes. Ultimately, the best judge will have to be your own ear. If using reverse NAB provides the correct balance of frequency response to your own sense of hearing, just go with it, so long as you are monitoring the signal via a high quality studio monitor system. You do not want to be compensating for poor performance of your sound system, just improper EQing of the original tape.

Comment

Working...
            X