Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• capabilities function in Millemmium error message

When I try to play a 24bit file in Millenium, I get the following message:
    "The specified format is not supported or cannot be translated. Use the Capabilities function to determine the supported formats"

The files were recorded using Millenium and play fine in other audio programs. 16 bit files play fine in Millenium.

The sound devices selected in Millenium are the same as those selected for windows multimedia.

It all used to work and the only change I can think of is converting to Windows XP. This is probably the first time I've used Millenium since the conversion. The most frustrating part is I think I've seen this problem before but can't remember what I did to fix it.

What is the "Capabilities function" referred to in the message?

Any other suggestions for what to try?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 06-28-2019, 04:25 AM.

Re: \"Capabilities function\"?????

The error message you are getting is from the sound card driver. It is telling you that the driver does not support this format.
    This is because XP treats drivers differently than 95, 98, and ME do. XP has a different driver model and different capabilities may be supported. Microsoft in the infinite wisdom decided to require different driver setup in XP, so something that used to work in previous OS's will no longer work, even though the sound card supports it.

You can try selecting a different audio device in the Device IO config box it they are avaliable. Sometimes there are different capabilities available.

Rick

Comment

The drivers for the Hoontech DSP24ve do leave something to be desired (the latest gives me random crashes!) so the problem may well be there.

However, DCArt seem a bit more finicky than Winamp, CoolEdit2000 or Goldwave, all of which play the files in question. And DCArt handles 16bit files without complaint.

Guess I'll have to wait for the long promised next driver version and/or DC V which I have on order at Tracertek. Maybe one of them will help.

Comment

Installed DC V today. It plays the files fine that 4.8 had trouble with.

Comment

Working...
        X