Multifilter bypass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multifilter bypass

I'm currently setting up a Multi filter to use with sound files containing mixed recordings of vocals, imported from cassette tape. I have 4 filters in the path ( so far )

Impulse Noise
    Dynamic Noise
    Median Filter
    Bandpass Filter

I noticed that when I have all 4 filter windows open, and I click on Bypass in the multifilter window, only the Bypass tickboxes for the first two filters click on as well. The bypass tickboxes for the other two filters stay unticked. Testing the preview by changing the settings for the unticked filters shows that they are actually being bypassed, as intended.

By the way, I'd be happy to recieve any comments or suggestions on my multifilter setup. After using the multifilter, I would finish by using a CN sample, normalize, then quantize before CD burn. As I have over 130 cassettes to process, I am trying to set up a general setting that I can apply to all these tapes ( they all contain they same sort of material )

Thanks,

Mechi
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-11-2019, 05:23 PM.

We would need to know a little more about the source of the vocals to make really useful comment on the filter lineup. It is a reasonable lineup depending on the original material source.

One must assume that the original source is either from records or from the radio or tv since you have an impulse filter in the chain. If the tapes were recorded directly via a microphone, there is no need for the Impulse filter. The Dynamic Noise filter will be useful in reducing tape produced hiss. But, the Continious Noise Filter may be more useful in reducing rumble from the original source if that had been a record. Sometimes, people use a combination of the Dynamic Noise and the Continious Noise Filter for overall noise reduction. The Median filter is used to reduce crackle which can come from records or from broadcast. The bandpass filter is often used to improve intelligibility of spoken word recordings. When used with music, you need to be careful with its settings so that you only eliminate out-of-band noises.

As for the bypass situation, I assume that you are using the Millennium version. It sounds like you have found a bug in the program which should not effect the results of your project.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 01-31-2006, 12:28 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

The tapes were recorded from radio, and contain a variety of comedy rountines, songs and vocal tracks. The individual tracks vary greatly in quality, as they range from the late 90's back to the 50's, so your comments indicate that my filter selection should be viable. Thank you !!

My apologies, too - I should have put the thread in the DC6 forum. I'm using DC 6.14
      ( Don't look for that minor bug in the wrong program !! )

Comment

Working...
      X