New to Record Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Record Restoration

Have been playing with DC Six for a couple of weeks now. Have made a few CD's. They are alright but had hoped they would be a little stronger. Here is what I am doing. If anyone has a better way please let me know.
    1. Record @ 96.0 kHz & 24 Bit
    2. Run EZ Impulse Noise Filter @ 7 inch 33 rpm starting point.
    3. Run paragraphic EQ with RIAA Phono Eq curve with gain @ Approx four and one half lines from top.
    4. Virtual Vale Fat Base Audiophile quality.
    5. Punch & Crunch with Light, Medium, or Heavy Expangion Balanced Spectrum
    6. Change Sampling rate to 44.1 kHz & 16 bit.
    7. Run gain normalize.
    8. prepare for CD.
    Realize that most of this can be donw with the Live function but am still playing.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-10-2019, 10:49 AM.

First, I have a question. Were the records transferred via an RIAA magnetic phono preamplifier? Or, were they transferred via a flat magnetic phono preamplifier. The reason that I ask this is it could be that you are imposing the RIAA curve onto the signal twice. Please advise.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Am using the flat CTP-1000 that came with the package that I ordered.

Comment

Ok -

Here is your lineup:

1. Record @ 96.0 kHz & 24 Bit
        2. Run EZ Impulse Noise Filter @ 7 inch 33 rpm starting point.
        3. Run paragraphic EQ with RIAA Phono Eq curve with gain @ Approx four and one half lines from top.
        4. Virtual Vale Fat Base Audiophile quality.
        5. Punch & Crunch with Light, Medium, or Heavy Expangion Balanced Spectrum
        6. Change Sampling rate to 44.1 kHz & 16 bit.
        7. Run gain normalize.
        8. prepare for CD.

------------------------------------

Being new to the process, I would do it as follows;

1. Same
        2. Run RIAA in Paragraphic
        3. Run the EZ Clean Filter, adjusting the controls for the best results.
        4. Run the VVA using the 12AT7 in "sweet" mode. Adjust the mix control for the desired effect.
        5. Run the Punch and Crunch to your taste
        6. Change sampling rate and bit depth to 16 bit and 44.1 KHz
        7. Gain Normalize
        8. Prepare for CD

----------------------------------------------

After you get a few under your belt with this technique, then you should begin to experiment more with things like fat bass in the VVA and other things. The EZ Clean filter really makes life a lot easier for newbies. I hope that this helps. Let us know.

Comment

Originally posted by rickog
          Have been playing with DC Six for a couple of weeks now. Have made a few CD's. They are alright but had hoped they would be a little stronger.
          Could you describe what you feel is missing more explicitly? Are you unhappy with the cleanup (clicks, crackle and hiss) or the tonal balance? If you're unhappy with the tonal balance, could you tell us what you're using (amp & speakers) to monitor your work? Are you playing the CD's through other systems and finding them weak?

Here's some things I learned over time that seems to have helped.

Start with a clean record- The EZ clean filter can work wonders, but starting with the cleanest possible source really helps. It allows you to use less aggressive settings, which minimizes the chances of distortion of the music.

Use the "Keep Residue" feature -This allows you to check to make sure you're not removing musical content with the clicks, pops and hiss. This can dull the sound.

Adjust for your system- When I first started using the "flat" transfer method, I found the results I got after adding the RIAA curve in the parametric equalizer resulted in hot highs and thin bass. I did some A/B comparison between some restored songs and ones from a good remastered commercial CD. I then came up with a correction curve in the 20 band EQ that I've added into the restoration stream. My goal is to make a new RIAA curve setting in the parametric EQ to eliminate a step.

Swap EZ Clean/RIAA EQ order - The order of your steps is the preferred method and usually gives the best results. On some troublesome recordings, though, I've found it better to apply EQ first, then use EZ clean or manual cleaning filters.

Use the multi-filter - Not only does this save time, but it can provide better results since the file doesn't have to be run through the FFT but once. It's not hard to use, give it a try.

Keep a "raw" version of the file - I've been using Diamond Cut for years, but I feel I'm getting better at it every time I do a restoration. In addition, the product continues to evolve and improve. I save a "raw" copy of the source before any restoration is done. I have gone back to some of my favorites and applied new techniques that I've learned and gotten an improved version.

Hope these hints help. Good luck!

Doug

Comment

Thanks Doug. Those are all good hints. The RIAA situation could be related to the phono cartridge response itself. Have you ever downloaded the Stanton 500 correction curve from the presets sharing area? Even if you do not have a Stanton 500, I am wondering if most cartridges have a similar characteristic. It would be interesting to test out. As I recall it, that preset includes both the RIAA plus the Stanton correction. It was created using a test record with random noise.

Comment

New to record restoration

To Doug, I am not unhappy the software at all, on the 5 or 6 recordings to CD that I have done the music does not have the vibrancy I am looking for. Your hints plus Craigs have given some more helpfull information to go with. I appreciate your replies greatly. Will do some more playing. Part of my problem that your software is not plug and play (that is a good thing). I am haveing to spend some time learning the ins and outs. That is what I am doing. Again thanks for the tips. Go Seattle SeaHawks.

Comment

Working...
              X