Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it possible to restore old pathe's 80 rpm (vertical cut) with millennium?.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it possible to restore old pathe's 80 rpm (vertical cut) with millennium?.

Hi,
    so sorry for my bad english.
    I need some help!.
    I've bought dc-art millennium and i would like to know if someome has restored old,very old recordings with it.
    i saw that dc-6 was a better program.But i bought millennium so i have to face with it!.
    if somebody would help me.
    i have recorded my old recordings on a minidisc in mono mode.And now,they're on the hard disk of my computer.
    The sound and speed are good but there is a lot of noise and rumble....
    i have followed the "RESTORING THE DC-ART DEMO WAVEFILE" but sure,i made some mistakes cause the results aren't not so good.
    first
    -i have chosen the "Reverse RIAA Phono equalization curve"
    (there's 4 or 5 reverse RIAA!!!)
    -i used the "IMPULSE NOISE FILTER"
    -i used the "HIGH PASS FILTER"
    but the results aren't good.
    It's certain,i'm not using Millennium in a good way.
    Help me please!.
    i wrote it for pathe's 80 rpm,for vertical cut,but i'm interested by 78 rpm,
    And thank you very very much for your future answers!.

ROMAIN.

PS:Of course,i've got the english version of Millennium,it's complicated for me to understand exactly all the terms of filters,effects and forensics....
    If you write me in a very easier english,i will do my best to understand it!.Thanks again!.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-18-2019, 10:31 AM.

There may be two or three errors in your procedure. First, Pathe' recordings were made as Hill and Dales or Verticals meaning that the modulation is in the up and down direction (actually, they are groove width modulated but that produces the same vertical displacement ultimately). You need to do the following:

1. Make sure that you use the correct stylus and transfer the recording in stereo. Certainly, an LP stylus will not work

2. You MUST use the file Conversion Filter to go from Stereo to Mono (L-R)

3. Pathe' made records from the acoustical period through the electrical period. If you were dealing with an acoustical you used the correct RIAA converter. If they were electrical, there is a chart in the users manual which should have the correct turnover frequency for Pathe'

4. Most Pathe' records were recorded at 90 RPM. You probably transferred them at 78 RPM. Therefore, you need to apply the speed change filter in order to obtain the correct pitch.

Give that a try and see if it helps. It should help - - - but let us know.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-18-2019, 10:32 AM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

I think for #2 you mean stereo to mono (l-r), right Craig?
      Dan McDonald

Comment

Yes!!! Thanks for the correction. Nice catch Dan.

Comment

old pathe's recording:i try this.

thank you Craig and Dan.
          i'd would like to add some informations.
          i have recorded my old recordings in mono with a minidisc.When i have chosen the conversion filter (mono),it was typically the same sound. .
          i wrote about the speed,pathe=80rpm.Or,these discs have a speed of 80,85 or 90 rpm,even 95 rpm.It's always changing.
          The stylus was good,it was a shure installed on a modified stereo cartridge for vertical cut.
          After searching and trying,i did this:
          1-reverse RIAA 250 hz (4 or 5 reverse riaa,which was the better?.250?.500?.)
          2-impulse filter (with the program "vertical cut start point")
          3-continuous noise (with db attenuation 11)

the sound is nearly better than my original recordings.
          But it can be improved,i'm sure!.
          I have millennium at home since two weeks.i don't have the time to explore it
          completely.If Someone could help me,if someone has the same problem.
          Please,mail me.I'm ready to send you a nice bottle of french wine....
          i'm not joking!....
          Thanks,anyway!.
          Romain

Comment

Romain,

The number one problem is the fact that you transferred these records to a minidisc in mono. You must go back and re-transfer them in stereo in order to obtain the important vertical component with the file converter filter Stereo to Mono (L-R). This process will not work on files that were originally recorded in monophonic mode.

If you transfer in stereo and follow the outlined procedure of file conversion, the sound quality will improve greatly.
            Last edited by Craig Maier; 02-12-2006, 01:38 PM.

Comment

in Stereo?.OK!.

OK Craig!.
              i'm going to transfer all the recordings in stereo and i will probably ear the difference!.
              Thanks a lot Craig!.

ROMAIN

I will tell you next post!

Comment

Romain,

Also, you will get better results transferring directly to your computer sound card rather than through a minidisc. You see, the minidisc uses lossy compression which throws away some audio information which you do not want to do if optimal results are expected.

Comment

Yes, even if you have to take your desktop computer and move it to your sound system to transfer the recordings, you'll be much better off.

Dan
                  Dan McDonald

Comment

Working...
                  X