DC Offset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC Offset

What is DC offset and what causes it? Is it something that can have an effect on any of the processes or effects that are applied to the WAV file? Can Millenium correct DC offset and, if so, how?

Re: DC Offset

DC offset is a fixed signal that is introduced into the sound card via an input op-amplifer. High quality sound cards or those that use AC coupling do not have significant dc offset values. DC offset shifts the operating point of the number line's zero value either in the positive or negative direction. The result is asymetrical clipping, if that should occur. DC Offset can be removed by Millennium by running the signal through the high pass filter set for 6 db/octave and 20 Hz.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

How do you know if you have any DC-offset that needs fixing? Does Millenium have a way of telling me? I know that other programs such as Sound Forge and Cool Edit Pro can give statistics on DC-offset.

Comment

DC Offset is easy to see in the source or destination window. Find a spot in the file with relative silence and zoom in on it. Move the display gain slider (the right-most one next to the source or destination) downwards in order to increase the display gain. As the noise signal display is increased with this control and if the positive or negative signal peak hits the maximum deflection asymmetrically, then dc offset is present. If they both hit full scale deflection at the same gain deflection setting, then there is no dc offset.
        Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-12-2019, 10:34 AM.

Comment

If I detect DC Offset, when should I run the filter? I would think that you would want to fix this prior to doing anything else on the file. If I run this filter on a file that doesn't really need it, will anything bad happen? What happens if I run the filter more than once?

Comment

You should run that recommended filter immediately after recording. It will have no deliterious effect on the file since it has a very gentle slope and has a corner frequency at 20 Hz, the bottom end of the audio spectrum. Yes, you can run this filter again later, if for some reason you decide to do that, but once should get rid of the dc offset.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I will now incorporate this as part of my process.

Comment

Working...
              X