basic information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• basic information

Hi, I'm just getting started and need a few questions answered. I tried the contact on web page but said it could not find page <G>

I have a CD burner for making CD's through the reciever and turntable.. Do I use it to burn the vinyl onto a CD, then take to the computer and clean up with Millennium and then use the computer CD burner to make the end CD ??

Or do I need to try to get an input from the reciever into the computer someway ? I ordered extra stuff for the computer for recording music but have not figured if I need to go direct somehow...

Thanks for any help... I will be looking at the old messages while I wait to hear from you guys..

Yep another beginner with lots of vinyl to record so I want to get it correct, looks like you guys know how to do it <G>

Thanks WPSteve
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 06-15-2019, 12:16 PM.

Hi,

Welcome to the world of audio restoration! Here is a commonly used basic process:

1. Turntable connects to an audio preamp or receiver - - - magnetic phono cartridge goes into the special magnetic phono input on the preamplifier or receiver.

2. Tape Output of the audio preamp or receiver goes to the line input on your computers sound card.

3. Use Diamond Cut Millennium to record your records onto your hard drive with the recorder function (red button on the toolbar)

4. Use the Diamond Cut Millennium software to remove noise like impulse noise (clicks, ticks, crackle, etc).

5. Use the Continious Noise Filter to remove Rumble and Hiss by sampling on a quite portion of the de-clicked file.

6. Enhance the sound, if you like, with any of the enhancement or effect features such as the EQ or the VVA, etc.

7. Use the CD burning software that came with your CD ROM burner to create the final CD.

Once you go through it a few times, it is really quite easy. I think that most folks take the most amount of time getting the basic setup correct, which is something that you only have to do once.

Let us know how you make out!
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 03-22-2006, 10:11 AM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

wpsteve said:
      I have a CD burner for making CD's through the reciever and turntable.. Do I use it to burn the vinyl onto a CD, then take to the computer and clean up with Millennium and then use the computer CD burner to make the end CD ??
      Do you mean that you have a component CD recorder in your stereo set-up as opposed to the CD-R drive in your computer? If so, that's the way I do it. I have the turntable (with a phono pre-amp -- these days few stereos have a phono pre-amp built in) connected to my CD recorder the same way I used to have a Cassette Deck connected.

I use this set-up to record the unedited phonograph tracks to a CD-RW disc, then I can read the files into my computer from the CD-RW disc. I do this by starting the "Record" function of DC, then playing back the CD-RW with Real Player, although I suppose that Windows Media Player would also work. (Keep the on-screen player small so you can see both programs in progress.)

Once that's done you can edit them and burn them to a good CD-R disc. Then erase the CD-RW disc and use it for the next job.

Recording directly on the computer seems to be pretty processor intensive, and doing it this way keeps my computer available for other things.

Also, my CD recorder was built to handle music, and does a better job than my sound card.

Note: I've been doing this for a couple of weeks, now.
      Last edited by cromag; 03-22-2006, 03:17 AM. Reason: Disclose level of expertise

Comment

cro-mag -

I think you'd find it simpler, cleaner and faster to "rip" the CD to your hard drive rather than playing it and recording it (if I'm reading your post correctly).

I think your chain is analog (phono) -> digital (CD-RW) -> analog (media player) -> digital (DC-Art recording)

It's simpler and more efficient to do this:

analog (phono) -> digital (CD-RW) -> exact digital copy through ripping cd.

Some versions of the diamond cut software you have, you can rip the files to your hard drive. There are also free programs that can do it, and most burning programs can do it as well.

Dan
        Dan McDonald

Comment

Dan --

You're right, and I plan to upgrade in the future, but right now I can't rip to a .wav file. I'm using DCart32, which doesn't seem to have the ability, and the ripping programs I do have all rip to mp3's, which would lose some details.

I didn't know if Millenium could rip to a .wav or not.

Comment

DC6 and Live/Forensics includes CD ripping feature. Unfortunately, the Millennium version does not.
            "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

I used to use CDex which was free and worked well to rip to wav. I think it's still availble. Also if you're burning with something like Roxio, it will rip to wav.

Dan
              Dan McDonald

Comment

The equiptment I have is a Pioneer PDR 609 Compact Disc Digital Recorder.

WP Steve web site http://members.bigvalley.net/norma

Comment

I did a quick check on the web and found CDex. I also found a simple freeware program called FreeRIP which I tried. It's fast and it seems to work well, but I don't think I'll need it -- I upgraded to DC-6, it just came today.

For CD burning I use Sonic's RecordNow! I think Sonic was acquired by Roxio, but it looks like they still offer the basic version of RecordNow! It's the simplest and most flexible burner I know of, but it only burns -- it doesn't read/rip. (This may be the key to it's simplicity and flexibility. I tend to prefer smaller programs that do just one thing, but do it well.)

Comment

Working...
                  X