Mylar Tape to CD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mylar Tape to CD

We have an oral history of our community on 1/4" reel-to-reel mylar tape. I've got a decent AKAI tape deck, cables, and plugs. Using Windows XP Pro.

I want to move the files onto playable CD's that our historical society can use and sell to raise funds.

A news group user suggested using Nero, Diamond Cut, and xxxxxxx. He also had XP Pro.

Here at the web site, I see a couple of iterations of DC. I guess the task is to:
    1. Move the sound to my HD (Diamond Cut do this?)
    2. Clean up the audio (remove rumble, etc.)
    3. Burn the CD (Nero, although XP does a pretty good job).

Do I have this right? Suggestions?

You can E-mail me at pardussi2@earthlink.net.

Thanks.

Phil
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-07-2019, 09:03 PM.

Re: Mylar Tape to CD

Hi Phil - welcome to the board. I'm not an expert, but I'd be happy to help out. You basically have the three steps right; how you accomplish them is up to your personal preference.

Most people get the sound from a tape to the hard drive by plugging from the tape recorder into the sound card line in jack, although some people probably go from an amplifier into the sound card; I assume you get more noise with each piece of equipment, so I try to go directly if I can, whatever the original medium is.

DCart is great for the second step. If it's an oral history, you should be able to do a very clean job using some of the presets for speech as you figure out the various problems.

Nero is used by a lot of people to burn CDs. I use Easy CD Creator and have never had a problem - and I've burned hundreds of CDs. EAC is a freeware program that a lot of people like to use also.

Dan
    Dan McDonald

Comment

Re: Mylar Tape to CD

on #1 - Yes, Diamond Cut can do the recording; it is pretty flexible in offering various options regarding sampling rate, stereo/mono, etc.

Dan
      Dan McDonald

Comment

Working...
      X