Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Restoring audio

Hi all,

I've got a bit of a tricky one in my hands and need some help - It's a very old recording. You can download it xxxxxDELETEDxxxx I dont usually deal with audio this bad so I don't know where to start.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Im on DC-Art Millennium

Last edited by rickc; 05-16-2020, 11:18 AM.

Download with caution

Webroot's Spy Sweeper has identified this file as containing Email Sentinel Pro, a monitoring program which secretly tracks all user activities.
    "You earthlings are all fools, fools, fools, do you hear me ..." Plan 9 From Outer Space

Comment

What ? Its an mp3 file.

Comment

Lord Theo,

I already downloaded it. What should I do?
        "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Maier
          Lord Theo,

I already downloaded it. What should I do?
          Hello Craig,

Ignore him. I just ran a spybot scan and it didn;t detect anything. I dont know why someone would make such a comment, but Im in need of geniune help.

If you could suggest any ways of improving the audio I would greatly appreciate it.

Comment

Your file may not be the problem, it could be the website you've posted it to is dropping a tracking cookie on user pc's. If you have industrial strength spyware scanning such as Spy Sweeper or Ewido, I suggest you use it.
            "You earthlings are all fools, fools, fools, do you hear me ..." Plan 9 From Outer Space

Comment

Oh ok, sorry for the misunderstanding. If that;s the case then its usually in the internet files or cookies. Just clear your cache or run a program like spybot.

Comment

Email Sentinel Pro

Craig,
                The MP3 file is ok, the website used to download the file is the culprit. It's a non-destructive tracking cookie. It will not interfere with your pc, but will track your Internet activities. This is a privacy issue only...you won't self-destruct.
                Webroot's SpySweeper is the only application I know of to remove it, maybe forum members are aware of others. Both spybot & adaware, as well as anti-virus sw are ineffective in this instance. Hope this helps.

Theo

Comment

Thanks, Lord Theo -

I just downloaded Spy Sweeper. I am running it now to find the culprit and to get rid of it. I probably should go and edit out that link so that nobody else gets clobbered by it.

Craig

Comment

Ok, so any ideas ?

Comment

Shaolin,

I did get a chance to hear the file before I got nervous and deleted it. This is what I recall hearing:

1. It sounded like an overly compressed MP3 file having a lot of artifacting and almost no dynamic range. Is this MP3 your only source file? If not, then the source file may sound much better than what I am hearing.

2. To increase the dynamic range of this file, you can use the Punch and Crunch effect in Expansion mode with a fairly small ratio. That should improve the sound quality.

Please understand that I need to edit that link out of your posting because I do not want to see anyone else picking up the problematic cookie.
                      Last edited by Craig Maier; 06-25-2006, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Ok, I've uploaded it onto my website so no need to worry about cookie issues anymore. Click here for a direct stream.

The original format (I got this off another website btw) is .rm and is heavily compressed. 28 minutes which is 3.33mb.

PS. I re-edited the original post.

Comment

Again, the biggest culprit seems to be the highly lossy compression and the digital artifacts that were introduced into the audio coupled with the destruction of all of the dynamic range of the file.

So, reiterating, I would apply the Punch and Crunch effect with relatively small values of "ratio" in Expander mode. Adjust the various bands thresholds until the sound improves.

That should help.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Maier
                            Again, the biggest culprit seems to be the highly lossy compression and the digital artifacts that were introduced into the audio coupled with the destruction of all of the dynamic range of the file.

So, reiterating, I would apply the Punch and Crunch effect with relatively small values of "ratio" in Expander mode. Adjust the various bands thresholds until the sound improves.

That should help.
                            Thanks, I work on that. I want to bring the voice out more - I was thinking of using virtual value. What do you think ?

Comment

The Virtual Valve often can help improve articulation, especially using the exciter mode. However, it also brings up the noise level, which in this case consists of lots of digital artifacts from the lossy compression process used.

A better idea might be to use the Median filter, which can improved speech articulation.

But, I would start out by improving the dynamic range of the signal with the Punch and Crunch first and then try adding in other filters/effects thereafter.

Comment

Working...
                              X