Gain Normalize introduces fuzz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gain Normalize introduces fuzz

Normally with Millenium I do my editing/EQing at a lower gain and increase the gain as one of the last steps. Lately, I've been using both Punch & Crunch and the Virtual Valve Amp during editing and when I Gain Normalize at the end, louder areas have a fuzzy static introduced. It's not clipped and doesn't sound exactly like a clip usually would. Averaging can reduce it a bit but I'd rather avoid adding another extra step. Any help?

The software does not introduce distortion when gain normalized to full scale output. However, some soundcards distort when presented with a signal that is full scale (+/- 32,000 counts). The same is true with some low cost CD players.

Therefore, consider gain normalizing to a value less than 0 dB. I know that the DC6 version has that capability. I do not recall that the Millennium version could gain normalize to anything other than 0 dB. So, if you are using Millennium, you will have to adjust the overall gain of the file manually to something like -4 dB full scale output to eliminate the distortion (assuming that your sound card is the culprit). This is accomplished with the gain change feature found in the edit menu.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Hmmm, sounds like I have to look at the soundcard. I usually do scale it to -1dB. I thought I might have been getting carried away with the VVA/Punch&Crunch and adding something. Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X