Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silencing A Track

Hello,

I am trying to silence some hiss from 2 different tracks. One is from Cat Steven's 1977 album Izitso. And the other is from Chuck Mangione's 1979 album Fun And Games. The music needed to be put through the graphic equalizer and then virtual valve adapter. The two of them in combination brought the music back. But it also brought a lot of hiss. When I use the options within the dynamic noise function, they work but they seem to bite (if I can use this word) or take the peaks of the music to much. If I use the enhancer mode function it just brings the hiss back. Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Peter
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-06-2019, 08:46 PM.

Try using the Continuous Noise filter. I like to use the Continuous Noise filter to solve the problem that you are describing. You will need to take a noise fingerprint and then adjust the attenuator control for the optimal results. The other controls are a bit more complicated to use and involve. Descriptions of the entire CNF operation can be found in your Users Guide.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 08-14-2006, 10:47 AM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your help. I tried using the continuous noise filter. I clicked the sample noise button and it scanned the file. From that point you want me to adjust the attenuation by the slider control? I just want to make sure I understand this. You are right about needing advanced skills with this stuff. Could I also use one of the default options like the CR02 cassette tape fingerprint?

Thank you

Comment

The best fingerprint to use is one based on the audio that you are trying to clean up. There is a description in the users manual about this topic, but the quick summary is as follows:

Find a spot in the music in which about 1 or 2 seconds of silence exists (usually between tracks). You may need to use the zoom in function to do this. Highlight that area of the file. Bring up the CNF. Click on the "Sample Noise" button. That is the best fingerprint to use for the material at hand.

If you do not want to do all of that, choose a preset which best describes the media you are dealing with. This will work, but not as well as the first method described.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Maier
          If you do not want to do all of that, choose a preset which best describes the media you are dealing with. This will work, but not as well as the first method described.
          Yes! Some of the presets are very good indeed. Granted, I don't always want to take all day cleaning up a recording, so I sometimes find a balance between sounding pretty good and speed. I use the preset for 1973 Vinyl a lot, since many of my recordings are from that general era and it always surprises me how well that one preset works for many of the recordings I restore.

In fact, since the above mentioned recordings are from that era, that preset may be a good place to start.

Geebster...

Errr... I forgot! Was this preset in Millenium? If not, I would recommend to upgrade to DC6!!!!!
          Last edited by ; 08-16-2006, 04:56 PM.

Comment

That particular preset is not found in the Millennium version. It, and many others are found in the DC6 version.

Comment

Thank you

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
              X