Attack and Decay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attack and Decay

Generally speaking, I adjust the attack and release times while the CNF is in keep residue mode. That way, you are only hearing the noise. I adjust them up as high as I can before I start to hear too much audio signal, especially at the begining and ending of crescendos in the material. Then I go back to regular non-keep residue mode and made sure that the artifacts are minimized by adjusting the attenuation control or the various touch points on the graph. I hope that this is of some help to you.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 07-13-2019, 06:31 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Re: Attack and Decay

Thanks, Craig. that sounds like a good plan. I'll try it out. I usually adjust the CNF using the keep residue filter, but I'm generally aversive to fooling around with parameters if I have no basis for guessing.

Dan
    Dan McDonald

Comment

Attack and Decay

Is there any good way to estimate attack and release from an existing sound sample?

It's hard (for me anyway) to figure out these values when I use the continuous noise filter, and I tend to go with the defaults but feel that there must be a better way for some of the noises that are specific to the recording.

For example, the hiss on a 78 or cylinder gets pretty nasty sometimes and using the continuous noise doesn't seem to help it very much; using the median and averaging filters tend to make it bassy. I'd like to be able to take the CNF and "model" the noise but it's hard to do because you have to work with both attack and release at the same time.

Dan

Dan McDonald

Comment

Working...
      X