No announcement yet.

Getting started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

silly me, thats what comes of spending too much time listening and not looking!

Still its a nice striking image.

I am giving up on that sound clip now.

One question, how much of what Forensics does can be done in Millennium?

Cheers

Mike

Comment

That is a very difficult question to answer as a quick summary. For starters, Millennium is built on a different platform than Forensics and DC6. DC6 is built on the Forensics platform sans some features and thus a subset thereof. Millennium is a limited feature set version of DC6 designed much earlier than the latter two. Millennium does not support WDM, as one example. DC6 has a myriad of features that Millennium does not have.

You can compare the differences in features on our website located at www.diamondcut.com.

-------------------------------

If you have a short snippet of the audio in non-lossy compression style (.wav), send it to me and I will see what can be done. Please keep it to around 10 seconds in length. My email is:

dctools@aol.com
      "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Brilliant, have sent it to you as I got it!
        Will be a fascinating exercise this!

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,

Yup. There is almost NO signal there. The only software that I have that put a dent in it was the Forensics version. Conventional audio software does not have a prayer with a file like that. And even with the Forensics version, it would take hours to fine tune it in. I spent a little time on it. I sent to you a small segment after processing. The major problem is that the signal was originally compressed, as far as I can tell which agrees with what you said. Check it out; you should have it now in your inbox.

Now you know why the Forensics audio experts get the big bucks!! It takes years of experience and excellent tools to extract signals from files like that - - - if it is possible at all.
          Last edited by Craig Maier; 09-06-2006, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Thanks Craig

You seem to have come to the same stage as me, although it took me six days lol.

I guess with some files there is no way to win.

Would be interested to know what filters you applied etc, did you slow it down a bit?

I truly wish I could buy the forensics software but as it costs the best part of a months wages there is just no way!

Thanks for you efforts

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mikesndbs
              Thanks Craig

I truly wish I could buy the forensics software but as it costs the best part of a months wages there is just no way!

Mike
              Mike,

What kind of restorations do you plan to do? If it's forensics, along the line of the project that started this thread, there's no substitute for Forensics. If, on the other hand, you're planning on music restoration, then Millennium is a good choice and DC 6 is even better.

Doug

Comment

Mike,

The filters used roughly in order as I recall were as follows:

Gain Change
                Brick Wall Bandpass
                Harmonic Reject
                Forensic AFDF (Adaptive Frequency Domain Filter
                Forensic ATDF (Adaptive Time Domain Filter)
                Median filter
                30 band EQ

Comment

Originally posted by DougMac
                  Mike,

What kind of restorations do you plan to do? If it's forensics, along the line of the project that started this thread, there's no substitute for Forensics. If, on the other hand, you're planning on music restoration, then Millennium is a good choice and DC 6 is even better.

Doug
                  Hi Craig

Thats the big question I guess

At the moment its work on sound files like (but better) the one that started this, but I also have some music to do at another time.

I can see that long term its going to be forensic needs, but when I get at it I need a music one.

What I really need is a win on the lottery

Comment

I plan on winning the next lottery, so save your money on the next ticket!

As for music vs forensics, the Forensics version does everything that the more musically oriented one (DC6) does, just more. In other words, the Forensics version is the superset.

Comment

Working...
                    X