Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound File Advice

Hello,

I have a question about a sound file I am working with. It is a old Burl Ives Christmas song from maybe around the 1960 to 1970's. I am trying to reduce the bass frequencies. It has a strong bass line and I want to reduce it a little without changing the overall song too much. I tried using the equalizer with the bass cut but it just does not sound right to me. I have tried other settings to but I just don't think what I am doing is correct. If anyone could listen to the sample track I uploaded and give their advice I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Alissa

I don't know how the double post happened, sorry.

This is the link to the download:

http://download.yousendit.com/C9F893775D014C24
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-30-2019, 10:32 AM.

Petly -

It sounds like it's been turned into an mp3 or realaudio file for webcast.

You're not going to be able to do much with it to make it sound better until you get a better original. That should be easy to get a good copy of, as it's a classic.

Dan
    Dan McDonald

Comment

An alternative to consider is the use of the Punch and Crunch Effect operating in Compression mode. Set all of the bands to the middle. Then, set the ratio to a value around 3. Then, adjust the lowest frequency band (the leftmost one) for a more pleasing bass sound. Try adjusting it both ways, upwards and downwards until you achieve the desired bass balance (you will see the bar graph located below the band dancing when it it comes into effect). Sometimes, the second band will also help a bit. After it sounds reasonable with a ratio of 3, then consider varying the ratio control for an even better sound quality.
      "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Thanks for your help.

Hello,

That is strange that you picked up on the idea that it might have been recorded through a webcast. I actually took it off one of my very old Christmas CD's. I thought it was just the way the song was recorded. It does not matter that much. I just wanted to say thanks for all your input. I will try the advice that you gave me, hopefully I can get it to sound better.

Thanks again

Comment

Almost

I almost have it right were I want it. The bass has been reduced and I removed that crackle sound (thanks to the average filter). The only problem is the voices or chorus seems a little under water. I can't figure out how to bring clarity to it. I am about ready to give. I mean it is only one song. I'll look around and see if I can find a VST Plugin that might work.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Petlydecker
            Hello,

That is strange that you picked up on the idea that it might have been recorded through a webcast. I actually took it off one of my very old Christmas CD's. I thought it was just the way the song was recorded. It does not matter that much. I just wanted to say thanks for all your input. I will try the advice that you gave me, hopefully I can get it to sound better.

Thanks again
            Wow, that is a bad transfer if you got it off a CD. They must have used a multi-multi generation tape. I have it on vinyl and even my well worn copy is better.

I can see restoring it if that is the only cut that is that bad of audio shape, but if the whole CD is like that, I would prefer to find a better copy. But that is just me. Don't think I am trying to tell you what to do.

That's what is kinda cool about audio and music. What works for me might not for you. If you are happy with it, so am I.

GB

Comment

Working...
            X