resampling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• resampling

Here's a basic question. I have seen a number of descriptions where people have taken a tape (e.g., an open-reel soundboard) and put the tape on DAT at 48 kHz samplng rate.

They then process the file in various ways, such as equalization or eliminating a hum, etc.

Then they resample to the rate for CDs and make wave files and burn the CDs.

My question is whether it helps to have the original file at the higher sampling rate if, in the end, you are going to be using the CD sampling rate.

Does it make a difference?

Dan
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 09-04-2019, 08:17 PM.
    Dan McDonald

Re: resampling

I think in the example you gave, the answer is no, because the difference in sound between 44 and 48khz is so minimal.

But generally, you get a better end result from using higher bit/sampling rates along the mastering chain even if you have to down-tech it for the final playback format (if the source material is worth the effort in the first place).

Comment

I was wondering what benefit you would derive (if any) if the end product is at the 44 rate. If it was an analog process, that would make some sense to me, but with digital processes it didn't make much sense; I'd even thought that making a conversion from 48 to 44 risked losing some quality as compared to starting out at 44, but don't know if that was a possibility or not. I'm not sure about what is done in the sampling process.

Dan
      Dan McDonald

Comment

The recordings are not resampled (unless someone simply does not know what they're doing). They are converted through application of a mathematical algorithm.

Comment

Working...
        X