Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Getting Started

Hi Everyone,

Just getting started with the idea of copying some of my LP's to CD. I've been trying out xxx, yyy, and DC Millennium. It seems clear that Millennium is the most capable program of the three. However, with all of the options that it offers, I find it a bit intimidating. Short of being an audio engineer, how does one know how to set all of the filters so as to achieve optimum results?

By the way, is v. 4.83 from 2005 the latest version of the program or is that just the trial version that you're allowed to download? I noticed that a lot of the web pages at the DC site are several years old. What's with that?

MusicMan
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-10-2019, 01:32 PM.

Hello Musicman -

I'm not any sort of engineer, but I've gotten used to most of the procedures and filters and have used almost everything at least once. Basically, the easiest way is to start with the presets, and work from there. I started with Millenium also (at least I think that's what I started with - it may have been before millenium).

Anyway, start with the preset that you think is closest to what you're dealing with, and, if it's not quite right, try adjusting a little bit at a time -one of the parameters, for example, to see what it does. Then, when you get the hang of it, adjust another parameter. Eventually, you'll get used to what effect each parameter has.

It's a highly flexible program and can do a huge amount of work for you. On the other hand, if you just want to transfer LPs to CD, you may want to try Mentor out, as it's pretty much simple, easy to do, and designed exactly for that.
    Dan McDonald

Comment

Hi MM:

I'm a long time Diamond Cut user too, but I am probably way below Dan's level of expertise; but none of my music that I restore is in very poor shape. I agree with Dan 100% about the presets. In fact, for more than a year using the program, I used nothing but the presets.

I don't know if this is just me, but I think Millenium or DC 6 is the way to start using DC products. I adore Mentor for easy tasks, but I don't think I could use it to it's full capabilities if I hadn't used DC Art32, Millenium, DC 5/6 first.

It's far easier to address specific problems you may be experiencing, so why don't you try a restoration or two and if you have any particular problems, raise your issues here in the forum.

Welcome aboard and happy restoring!

GB

Comment

Originally posted by MusicMan
        However, with all of the options that it offers, I find it a bit intimidating.
        A good place to start is the manual! There's a section in there that gives you a walk through basic restoration procedures. If you're using the trial version, there's a condensed version of the manual in the help section. As everyone has suggested, the presets are a good place to start. Also pretty much everything has a preview mode, so you can hear before and after before you commit to anything.

HB

Comment

Working...
        X