Problems Getting Started With Millennium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems Getting Started With Millennium

Just registered Millennium last night and downloaded it today. Recorded an LP a short while ago but now can't figure out how to do some things that I need to do. First, when I finished recording the LP, the program wouldn't let me give the file the name I wanted to give. This message came up: "Could not rename temp file to the new name. File names must be on the same disc drive." I just wanted to give the file another name in a different folder (on the same drive) but it wouldn't let me do that! Another thing, how do you get a file to go back to the beginning or to the end? The "rewind file" and "go to end" markers don't work.

And finally, I need to delete a very brief portion of the file right at the beginning. The trouble is whenever I try to use the mouse pointer to indicate where I want to begin the edit, the cursor turns into a horizontal arrow pointing in both directions and does not highlight the area. So I'm never able to indicate the area I want to edit/cut. This is not a problem in other areas of the wave file, just near the very edges of the workspace. Tried using the zoom in command but that doesn't work because I'm unable to highlight the area I want it to zoom in on.

Perhaps I've missed something and am doing something wrong but I don't know what. Very frustrating in the meantime!

MusicMan

Hi - Maybe these suggestions will help:

1. The temp file directory can be defined under the Preferences menu which can be found under the edit menu.

2. To get the file to go to the beginning, just double click on the source display, and the entire waveform shall become highlighted with the cursor at the beginning of the file and ready for the play button (or the space bar) to be activated.

3. To play a particular portion of a wavefile (like the end or something in the middle) just drag the mouse over the section of the file of interest while holding down the left mouse button, and that sector shall become highlighted. Then, using the play button or spacebar will activate play at the beginning of the highlighted segment of the file.

4. To zoom an area of a file, first highlight the area of interest with the mouse drag routine just described and then hit the zoom in function. (to reverse that action, use the zoom-out function)

5. To cut a sector of a file near the beginning, just use the mouse drag feature to highlight the sector that you want to cut, and then invoke the edit/cut command. The same action works at the end of a file.

I think the key to operating the software is that you need to highlight the area of interest with the mouse drag process. Once you get the hang of that, you pretty much will understand the basic logic of the software.

I hope that helps some, and sorry for your frustration.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your post. I can now get the file to start from the beginning as per your instructions. However, things are not working according to instructions, neither yours or the documentation, as far as highlighting the area that I want to cut. I understand very well what you are saying about using the cursor and holding down the left mouse button to highlight the area of interest. There's just one problem: when you get within 1/16 of an inch of the end of the workspace, which is where I need to highlight, the program doesn't perform as you or the documentation indicates it should. As I said in my original post, the mouse pointer turns into this horizontal arrow pointing both left and right. I try dragging that towards the right and things just don't work the way they should. It does indicate an area but it does not remain yellow as it's supposed to. It's more like an off-white while the rest of the workspace remains yellow. When I click on the zoom-in button, nothing happens. I could do what I need to do in another sound editor such as xxxxxx (which I do have) but I shouldn't have to do that.

MusicMan
      Last edited by Craig Maier; 03-19-2007, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Hi MusicMan -

Somehow, you are getting the cursor control into a mode in which you can move the highlighted area left to right or visa versa. That is what the horizontal arrows indicate.

I have not been able to duplicate precisely what you are seeing. But try this:

Just go to 1 inch before the beginning of the file with the mouse. Depress the left mouse button. While holding it down, drag the mouse towards the left until the cursor is trying to go off the left hand side of the screen and then release the left mouse button. The entire beginning of the file should now be highlighted in yellow.

Now, you can hit the zoom in button and you will be more focused on that area. You can repeat the previous action to fine tune the location of the highlighted area that you may want to "cut".

Are you able to re-create those actions? Please advise.

Comment

Hi Craig,

Again, thanks for your help. Your suggestion of placing the cursor about an inch from the beginning of the file, pressing the left mouse button and dragging it back to the beginning worked. After releasing the mouse button the area dragged over turned yellow while the remainder of the file became some kind of off-white. I then clicked on the zoom-in button and it did just that. I played the file again and listened to the first part to know where the desired music began and where I should start cutting. I then placed the cursor at that point and dragged it left back to the beginning of the file, then went to the edit menu and then cut. It worked perfectly! I repeated this three times to make sure it would be consistent. Worked just fine. If I try dragging to the right as I would normally, the cursor control is still in that other mode with the horizontal arrow. The main thing is that I can now do what I need to do. Tomorrow I'll clean up the end of the file and then run the impulse noise filter on it, and probably the high-pass filter as well.

Thanks a lot, Craig. I think I'll actually get the hang of this!

MusicMan

Comment

Yeah - it is a matter of getting used to the technique. I have gotten it down to where I can cut the tail and beginning off of a file, mute up to 1 second before the beginning and end and do a fade-in and fade out of a typical file all in less than one minute. It just takes practice.

Keep in mind that whenever the cursor is showing a horizontal arrow, the system is saying that it is in a mode intended to drag the perimeter of the highligted area of the file either longer or shorter. That is what that particular mode does.

Comment

Hi again, MusicMan -

Rick sent me the following comments concerning your query:

--------------------------------------------

Depending on how fast you move the mouse, the cursor may stop a little bit from the begining of the file, BUT, if you just drag the cursor past the left edge of the display and let go, then the beginning of the file will be highlighted. It may be that is is zoomed in really far and you are getting down to looking at individual samples; there it may act wierd and will not zoom in any further. The solution would be to zoom out a bit and try it again.

---------------------------------------------

I am not certain that he completely understands the problem as stated, but I am posting his response nonetheless.

Comment

Working...
              X