Previewing From A Specific Point in A File

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Previewing From A Specific Point in A File

Just wondering if it's possible with Millennium to preview the action of the filter, not from the beginning of the file as usual but from a specific point. I just ran the Impulse Noise filter and it didn't completely remove some clicks. There's one really bad one right near the end. What I want to do is choose a different preset and see if that will do the job but I don't want to listen to the whole file. The really bad clicks are very near the end of the file.

Last night I used the Continuous Noise filter on an FM broadcast that I recorded last week and I was absolutely amazed. The noise just disappeared. The music now sounds great with no noise at all.

MusicMan

To Preview a small section of the wavefile, do the following:

1. Point the mouse to the "beginning" point of the sector of the file of interest.

2. Hold down the left mouse button.

3. Drag the mouse towards the right and stop at the point in the file where you want the preveiw to end.

4. Release the left mouse button.

5. The desired section should now be highlighted in Yellow.

Now you can preview any filter on that sector. You may also want to become familiar with the principle of selective filtering. That can be very useful in the situation that you described. Also, familiarize yourself with manual interpolation using the "I" key of the keyboard.

I hope that this helps.

ps - the CNF is also great on tape hiss and record background noise other than impulsive noise.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 03-23-2007, 07:14 PM.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Previewing From A Specific Point

Hi Craig,

Yes, your info was very helpful, right on. It enabled me to do just what I wanted to do. However, I couldn't quite get rid of the clicks at the end of the file for some reason although I tried several different presets, including varying the default parameters. There is one mammoth click that peaked at 0 dB or higher which the software was able to reduce to about -10 dB or lower. The other clicks are rather small ones but they stubbornly remain. Anyway, by using the CNF I was able to get rid of the other noise on the file, including a very bothersome hum. That filter is quite remarkable.

I also learned the dangers of too much processing! The final file was one that contained some very bad distortion at several points. I went back and reviewed the original file and the distortion was not present. So I'm going to go back and process the file again, this time using just three filters (IM, CNF, HP) in the multifilter with just a single pass. Hopefully, the results will be better in terms of the sound of the final destination file. It's an interesting experience learning how the various filters work. I'm happy that I settled on Millennium rather than Mentor or Goldwave.

MusicMan

Comment

Hi MusicMan:

I have found as Craig has stated above, that with very large impulses that the interpolate function helps a lot....Just keep highlighting and zooming so you just have that nasty impulse highlighted; hit the "I" key and the impulse will be gone.

Have you tried running the filters more than once through the file? That often times helps getting rid of stubborn impulses.... also running the file through multiple times with slightly different settings can help. Yes, that is hardest thing to learn initially in using the software... restraint! It will actually do a BETTER job the more delicately you use the various filters.

Don't sell Mentor short.... It is a WONDERFUL product. I have been using Diamond Cut products since the days of DC Art32 and now use BOTH DC6 AND Mentor. Each has it's strengths.

I am a former DJ and have amassed a great deal of vinyl over the years and Mentor is perfect for those albums that are generally pretty good shape and don't need the power associated with some of DC6's filters. With that said though, it must be noted that the EZ filtering system in Mentor is actually more sophisticated than the ones found in the other Diamond Cut software. So, sometimes I use Mentor's filters to get rid of impulses or the like that the other products have difficulty in removing. Since you don't have DC6, it may be a wise investment to get Mentor as well so you can have it's features at your disposal.... Of course I don't know how much you have to restore, but for me getting Mentor was a no brainer... an awfully nice program for a steal.

Hope this helps..

GB
        Last edited by ; 03-26-2007, 07:01 AM.

Comment

I've found that I reduce the risk of distortion if I "Reverse" the audio file first, run the filters, then "Reverse" it again.

Comment

Previewing From A Spefific Point In A File

Geebster,

Thanks a lot for explaining how to use the Interpolate Function. With it I was able to completely remove that very loud click that I had mentioned. I'll try running the file through the Impulse Noise filter a couple of times and see if that helps with the remaining clicks which are of a much lower amplitude.

Cromag, I'll look into your suggestion about reversing the audio before filtering as a means of reducing the possible distortion. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm hoping to complete the restoration of that file tonight so I can have a CD to show my friend who's coming by tomorrow. He has some LP's he would like for me to transfer to CD.

MusicMan

Comment

Originally posted by MusicMan
              Geebster,

Thanks a lot for explaining how to use the Interpolate Function. With it I was able to completely remove that very loud click that I had mentioned. I'll try running the file through the Impulse Noise filter a couple of times and see if that helps with the remaining clicks which are of a much lower amplitude.

MusicMan
              MusicMan:
              Glad it worked for you. Yes, I have found that if you use a light touch with the impulse filter, but run it multiple times, it will often remove those hard to get impulses.

I also use Cromag's method as well. Sometimes the software can more easily "see" the impulses if the file is reversed.

Let me know how everything worked out; it's always fun to show off your first restoration or two to people that are unaware of the software and look at the expression on their face when you let them hear a 'before' and 'after' version of a particular music file.

GB

Comment

Working...
              X