Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem With A Song

Hello,

I have a question about a song I am trying to edit. It is the Bangles - Hazy Shade Of Winter (1985). The song has about 2 or 3 very small area's were the music drops. It does not completely fade out, just reduces a little. What filter or vst filter could I use to increase these area's or reduce the song to the lagging area's. It is not important for me to do this, I just like this song. I also use xxxxxxx if anyone knows of a vst (freeware) filter that can help. Anyone's advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Alissa
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-13-2019, 03:52 PM.

I simply highlight the area of the wavefile that is reduced in loudness. Then, I apply the Gain Change feature found under the Edit menu. I usually start with small changes in gain, around 4 dB as see if that helps. You can always undo an edit function with the undo feature, so do not be afraid to experiment.

Sometimes, I will use a fade-in sequence (start at 0 dB and then to the target dB (in my above example +4 dB). Then, I will apply a constant gain change for the main body of the time interval in question and then fade back down to match up nicely with the rest of the material.

I hope that is clear; the problem that you are dealing with is a common one and easily fixed.

I do not know if the xxxxxx brand software that you use has these features.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

When you use the gain change, it's best to find a 'break' in the music so that it's not noticeable, and sometimes you have to run noise reduction afterward (depending on the source material) so that the background noise is not also increased.

I'm not sure where in the song it is quiet, but usually you can find a spot where there is a pause in the vocals, etc.
      Dan McDonald

Comment

Thanks

Thank you for everyone's help. I will try to accomplish this but I don't think I can do it correctly. The only other option I have come to is a leveler. I will try your method and the leveler method. If not, I will just delete the file.

Thanks again,

Alissa

Comment

Hi Alissa,

You could do it correctly, if you simply use the correct brand of audio restoration software. It should be as easy as rolling off of a floating log. Millennium or DC6 have the features that you need - - - Gain Change, Fade In and Fade Out all which are under the Edit menu. If you prefer an automatic approach, try using the ALC or Compressor found in the Dynamics Filter found under the Effects Menu. But, the best method is a manual approach using the Edit menu features mentioned.

Last edited by Craig Maier; 06-07-2007, 08:43 PM.
          "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Originally posted by Petlydecker
            Thank you for everyone's help. I will try to accomplish this but I don't think I can do it correctly. The only other option I have come to is a leveler. I will try your method and the leveler method. If not, I will just delete the file.

Thanks again,

Alissa
            Do you own any Diamond Cut software? This is a forum where owners of Diamond Cut's fantastic software can discuss solutions to their audio problems. Millennium is a steal right now, so there would be no excuse in getting at least that. It is the best audio resoration software for the money (well, maybe DC Audio Mentor could also hold that title). For the price of a few CD's you could repair, enhance and improve the quality of your entire CD or audio collection.

GB

Comment

Yes I own DC Art Millenium v4.83 and other restoration software. I would not post a question here if I did not. I have posted questions here in the past. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Comment

Originally posted by Petlydecker
                Yes I own DC Art Millenium v4.83 and other restoration software. I would not post a question here if I did not. I have posted questions here in the past. Thanks again for everyone's help.
                My appologies if I sounded abrupt. It just wasn't apparent by your response, that you owned Diamond Cut Software. I have been using the product since the DCArt 32 days and it does everything I want it to do and more. The learning curve isn't immediate, but once you get a handle on what the program will do, you will find that you will not need anything else.

GB

Comment

Hey Petly -

Don't be afraid of posting questions. I think it was just an ambiguous phrasing in the original post - and people sometimes post things even if they don't have the software. If they're good questions, they can generate interesting threads.

And sometimes people post things that aren't even related to audio. I used to get some great leads on interesting websites related to my "photography hobby" until Craig started deleting those posts!
                  Last edited by Dan McDonald; 06-08-2007, 11:54 AM.
                  Dan McDonald

Comment

Working...
                  X