DC5 or Millenium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC5 or Millenium

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am a definite newbie here. I have looked around the site and I am interested in purchasing one of these two products, but I am wondering which is best for me. From my reading to date, I am just not sure which I should purchase.

I have a fair number of LPs (primarily Jazz and Jazz Fusion but also some "classic rock") that have never been released on CD (and probably will not ever be) that I would like to preserve and make available on CD for me to listen to. Most of the LPs are in pretty good shape, but a few are fairly rough since I bought them used a number of years ago, and some were farily well used. I want to preserve this music for my personal listening pleasure, so I guess I don't need things to be absolutely perfect, but I would like to make the copies as listenable as is possible for me, an admitted amateur, to make them.

I am wondering if someone can provide some insight into what additional features I may find of use if I purchase DC5 instead of Millennium? Is it likely that I would find the additional dollars money well spent in the long run, or is Millennium likely to meet my needs?

I have played around a little with the demos for both of these products, and they don't seem all that much different so far. I am wondering if someone with experience with both can provide their opinion as to which is likely to be the best value? Also, if Millennium is an older product, is it soon to be obsolete, or is it planned to continue with both products?

Thanks for any insight you can provide to me regarding these products, which appear to be extremely nice software packages. All advice will be greatly appreciated.

Mark
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 03-31-2019, 10:33 AM.

Re: DC5 or Millenium

MarkH
    DC5 is our latest product and has a couple of new features that maybe helpful such as the Easy Impulse filter, FastEdit mode, sample rate conversion and the chop file dialog enhancements, which can help if you have alot of work to do. The Ez Impulse filter/Expert Impulse filters in DC5 have a new detector that is better at getting bigger clicks so that may be of help of rough material.

On the other hand, you can certainly do with Millennium and save some money. You can upgrade later (the costs end up the same).

We do not have any plans on obsoleting Millennium, but there will not likely be any more enhancements to that product either. Basically the upgrade to Millennium is DC5.
    Of course I am biased so you may want to get other opinions before deciding. I would also go by the demo's.

Comment

I started out on the low end... the problem is you get addicted to the whole process, and you find little problems that need special attention... so you end up upgrading. Anyway, if you go with 5 you will have more than enough to keep you happy for a long long time. If you start with Millenium, you'll also be happy, but you may find that other projects (maybe some cassettes lying around, or a really beat-up mono version of something or other, or some other audio project - like a tape recording of when you were a kid...) anyway - eventually, you'll probably upgrade because of the special features.

Dan
      Dan McDonald

Comment

I'm also a newbie, having only just purchased Millenium. I'm in pretty much the same situation as you, in that I want to transfer the out-of-print music in my collection to CD. My collection includes LPs and 78s. It certainly isn't worth the trouble if the music is available on CD.

After evaluating both demos, I settled for Millenium. For my purposes, I didn't see enough of a difference to justify the additional expenditure. Some of the guys who post here seem to be pretty hard-core restorers of music, in which case the added features are probably worthwhile.
        Given that you can upgrade later and not pay a price penalty, I'd recommend starting with Millenium.

Comment

Re: DC5 or Millennium

This is kind of a belated post, but I was having trouble logging in.

Thanks to Rick, Dan and Dave for your thoughts. I am thinking that maybe I will start with Millennium and see how that works for me. One feature that I think I may want that appears to be new to DC5 is the "stretching" feature, but I may be able to do without that at least for now.

If I purchase Millennium, and want to upgrade to DC5 in the future, what is the process? What do I need to provide as a proof of purchase (is there anything physical I will need to send in), or does the company keep track of what has been purchased by me and automatically allow the upgrade pricing when I buy from the website?

Thanks,

Mark

Comment

Re: DC5 or Millennium

Mark,

We keep track of our customers in a computer database, but it would not be a bad idea to keep any documentation just in case.
            "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
            X