Handling short bursts of noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handling short bursts of noise

I have a problem for which I have yet to find a good solution. In transfering music from old cassettes I find occasional short (on the order of 0.1 sec.) bursts of noise. The spectrum seems to be boosted in the range of 2kHz to 16kHz, with the biggest increase (around 25dB, if I read the spectral chart correctly) between 8kHz and 14kHz. I have tried a number of things, including taking a noise sample from the real signal and jiggering with the curve, and in another software package using "repare one click" to do a smoothing on the section of the file in question. None of these seem to help much.

Can anyone suggest a filter to use in DC Millennium?

Cyril

Re: Handling short bursts of noise

I live in a hundred-year old house with an 80-year old electrical system and I get little bursts like that when I transfer analog stuff - I blame it on the electrical system in the house. Anyway, I've had good luck just zooming in and highlighting the problem area.. continue zooming in til you get very close, then just hit "I" for interpolate. It nearly always loses the burst. I imagine that's what you're doing with the other software package. You could also design your own filter using the expert impulse filter - just experiment a little and it will be able to do the same thing. Hope that helps

Dan
    Dan McDonald

Comment

Re: Handling short bursts of noise

[ QUOTE ]
      I live in a hundred-year old house with an 80-year old electrical system and I get little bursts like that when I transfer analog stuff - I blame it on the electrical system in the house. Anyway, I've had good luck just zooming in and highlighting the problem area.. continue zooming in til you get very close, then just hit "I" for interpolate. It nearly always loses the burst. I imagine that's what you're doing with the other software package. You could also design your own filter using the expert impulse filter - just experiment a little and it will be able to do the same thing. Hope that helps

Dan

[/ QUOTE ]
      I just ran into a short skuff area on one of the records I am restoring. I tried your I thing and the skuff is gone! thanks for the tip Dan.

Comment

Working...
      X