Filter problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filter problems

I'm having trouble with a low decibel, low frequency hum on my recordings. I'm, let's say, 99.9% sure that it's originating from either the pre-amp or the turntable. Whenever I try to filter it out, it makes the rest of the recording virtually unusable. Thoughts, anyone?
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 08-18-2019, 04:46 PM.

Re: Filter problems

If this problem signal is a hum, using the Notch filter set for the frequency of interest (usually 50 Hz or 60 Hz depending on where you live) will solve the problem. Set the Octave control to around 0.1 and the filter should not be invasive on the rest of the material. If this filter does not solve the problem, then send me a very short sample of the wavefile to dctools@aol.com so that I can evaluate it and let you know what this noise signal is and how to get rid of it.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Is your turntable "earthed" to the preamp? If they don't have the same ground level, you could pick up a hum (I had this problem with my tt/preamp).

Comment

After listening to the file, I determined that the major problem was "buzz." This was due to improper turntable grounding most likely. It was easily fixed using the Harmonic Reject Filter.
        "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Working...
        X