M-audio (n?e Midi-man) DiO 2448

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M-audio (n?e Midi-man) DiO 2448

I've just installed the DiO 2448, and I can't make it work with DC Millennium. Millennium allows me to select it as an input device, but all I get is random bits. I know the signal is there, on the S/PDIF cable, as my SB Live! card is quite happy with it. The following is part of a long message I received from M-audio, and seems to be the only thing which might be affected by DC Millennium:

ASIO or EASI based harddisk recording
    software, if you use Windows application
    with no ASIO or EASI support please use
    driver version 4.x, many applications
    support WDM-based drivers only in 16 bits,
    not in 24 bits.

Is this a possible cause of my problem? I must confess that I haven't the slightest idea what ASIO and EASI are.

Cyril N. Alberga

Re: M-audio (n?e Midi-man) DiO 2448

I am not familiar with that sound card, that is why I have not responded. I was hoping that someone else might have more specific knowledge or experience with the system that you mentioned. What Kyle says is correct about the MME drivers. Perhaps you could contact the manufacturer of the card and ask what drivers they support.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

If I read the material on the card correctly, it only seems to run with WDM-based drivers. I gather that the beta-test version does use these drivers. If that is so, is it possible to belatedly volunteer as a beta-tester? Is the program stable enough to use day-to-day? Or can you suggest some other way to capture the data from the card?

The whole point was to avoid the re-sampling done by the SB Live card (even when feeding it S/PDIF signals at 48kH, its native frequency!).

Cyril N. Alberga

Comment

We are presently in the middle of the Beta testing process. We have our stable of Beta testers in place for about five weeks now, and we do not want to add to the list at this point in time. We shall be done with that process in about three weeks. Thereafter, you will be eligible for an upgrade, since you already have Millennium, so that if the drivers are the problem with that sound card, it can easily be remedied. BTW, have you asked the Midi-man company if they have any other drivers available other than those that came with the product? If they have MME's, that might solve the problem for you right now. Maybe something is available on their website.

Comment

The website says:

If using an ASIO based application use the Windows 2000 DIO_WDM.exe drivers. DIO_VXD.exe driver only contain support for applications using Windows Multimedia drivers

I read this as saying that the different drivers both require WMD (which is what I have been told via e-mail) and differ only in whether ASIO support is provided.

I've written M-Audio asking for there suggestions. I hope that there is SOMETHING I can use to record in the meantime, without having to switch to another audio program. I really like Millennium, despite my somewhat intermittent use of it, but it is most discouraging to find that the hardware I have added is incompatible.

Cyril

Comment

I would send you a copy of the Beta, but it is not as stable as it needs to be at this point in time, so you might not be pleased with it. Give it a few weeks for the rest of the shake out to occur.

Comment

Boy its quiet around here!

About a week ago I posted the above query. After waiting a while I sent the same question to Tracer, and received the following response from Mr. Kyle Betts:

The current version of Millennium uses a standard MME driver. The new
              version that is in beta uses WDM driver.

Unfortunately, I haven't the faintest idea of the relationship between (among?) ASIO, EASI, WDM, and MME. I replied to Mr. Betts asking for an explication, but have yet to see a re-reply. (I just noticed that his first note was sent on August 25, 2002. You would have thought he could have answered my second question, since it was mailed a month earlier.)

So, if there anyone is still reading this forum (I suppose you are all off in the beta forum), can ANYONE tell me if my problems with the card in question could be due to the driver I'm using, and if the older driver will work? Or if I should try the beta version? I really would like to start using the card.

Comment

What OS are you running? That is Windows 95/98/ME/NT/XP or 2K.

Regards,

Jason Begley

Comment

Cyril,

Another thing I noticed on M-AUDIO site and/or Manual for the Dio2448 is something about the setting for SPDIF Input and making it AUTO so that it analyzes the incoming Digital Signal. They mentioned something about INVERTED Digital Signal, or something like that.

BTW, Can you playback audio through the Dio2448?

Regards,

Jason Begley

Comment

Hi,

At Tracer, we'll be glad to help you. You are welcome to call us at 717-764-9240. Som etimes it's easier to get things going when we can have some back and forth questioning.

I've talked to may Midiman sound card customers over the years and have never found such an incompatibility with any diamond cut software. In fact, I visited them a couple of months ago and they're going to bundle a version of dcart with an upcoming product. It has been checked by them pretty well I think.

Anyway, I'd like to start by using the simple windows sound recorder to record with. It's under start/programs/accessories/entertainment. Tell it to record at 44.1, 16, stereo and let's see what we get. If this works, we can try other sample rates, etc.

My suspicion is that this will not work. Dcart Mill doesn't do anything tricky in terms of record or play - it just uses standard windows calls to do this job. If it doesn't work with sound recorder, then a call to MIDIman with that info will get them on the right track.

Again, feel free to give us a call so we can try some things together.

curtis crowe

Comment

I'm running Win98SE. Last night I verified that the audio output of the card is operating. (Took a while, as I never intended to use it for output, only for capturing the S/PDIF signal from a A to D converter, and I neither had speakers attached to the amplifier I'm using (basically as a phone pre-amp) nor a manual for the amplifier!)

At this point I suppose I should check the S/PDIF output, but I am a bit hesitant. Note that I'm a neophyte as far as electronics are concerned. The A to D converter I'm using (the Applied Research and Technology DI/O) is said to have around (or over) 7V analogue output, and I don't know if it will fry the amplifier or not -- I'm using an old Harmon Kardon hk 750 inherited from my son, as I don't want to tear my audio system apart to move things into my crowded computer hole.

I'm in e-mail contact with the Midiman/M-Audio people, and they have been very responsive. So, for now, I probably can let this thread become quiescent.

That is unless someone can tell me if it is safe to feed 7V into the Aux connections on the hk 750.

Cyril

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by calberga:
                        I'm running Win98SE. Last night I verified that the audio output of the card is operating.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cyril,

Would I be correct in assuming that you did this with Millennium, that is, does the M-Audio card playback with Millennium? If it does, there are a couple of things to check and they "could" be as follows;
                        1. The SYNC Source of the Digital Input, play with the options here.
                        2. A "possible" IRQ conflict, I have seen this problem with other equipment where playback will perform fine, but recording fails. However, from what you have said in past posts you are getting "garbled" info when you record. Which, to me, sounds like option 1 above.
                        3. Check the version driver you are running, if it is NOT the VXD driver, use the following driver, as it supports standard MME functions which is what Millennium 4.XX uses;
                        http://www.midiman.net/support/drivers/new/DIO_VXD.exe

I honestly feel that you system may well be having issues with your Digital Signal, so check your cables too, where S/PDIF is concerned try and use GOOD Quality 75 Ohm Cables, and keep them as short as possible. A weak/poor signal can and will cause all sorts of mayhem.

Kind Regards,

Jason Begley.

Comment

This will be quick, as I'm having a harddrive problem which has diverted me for a bit. No data lost at least.

Actually, I don't think I tried output with Millennium, I used the Windows Media Player and NoteWorthy (both the Player and the Composer). The S/PDIF works fine when plugged into the SB Live! digital input port, so I think the signal from the A to D converter must be okay. I'm using a pretty heavy coax.

I'm using driver DIO2448.VXD, version 4.06.1084, which is what Midiman recommended. In the Multimedia window from the control panel the DiO2448 audio driver is reported to be enabled and working (as it clearly is, since it plays back). The digital driver, however is reported to be "enabled but inactive due to unknown problem".

I think my next step is to try swapping the video card and the 2448 and see if that helps. I'm exchanging e-mail with someone at Midiman and I'll see what he suggests if that doesn't work.

As far as Millennium, my understanding (which may be faulty, this is out of my area of expertise) is that all the drivers for the 2448 require the WDM protocol, which is not supported by the current version of Millennium, but will be by the next. That is why I've been using the native Windows player and recorder to test it. Since I don't really understand drivers this my be totally wrong, but I haven't been corrected on it yet. I'll be very happy, however, to be told I don't know what I'm talking about!

My computer consultant (the lady who put my machine together for me and twiddles this the hardware when it gets beyond my ability) feel that it is a good thing that the system knows the card isn't working. She says the harder cases are when the system thinks some hardware is working, but it isn't.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Cyril N. Alberga

Comment

A happy ending!

Sorry for the delay, but I have had a hard drive develop a bad sector, so I spent a little time replacing it, or rather having my hardware guru replace it for me. I had already made the switch between the video and 2448 cards, with no better results. She thought about it for a bit, then went into set-up and changed (I hope I get this right) PCI allocation from manual to automatic, saying that that sometimes made things fail. At that point the card indeed worked to a point. The odd thing is that the multimedia window, from the control panel, still reports the driver as "installed but not active", but Millennium was able to read the signal from the card with no problem. Go figure!

Sorry this took so long, but I have to admit that I didn't even know about that option in set-up, so with her it would probably have taken even longer.

Thanks to everyone here who has taken an interest in my problem and contributed ideas.

Cyril N. Alberga

Comment

Working...
                            X