Sound Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound Cards

From a recording standpoint, what makes one soundcard better than another? I currently use a Soundblaster Live 5.1 card and DCart32 and can't say that I'm real thrilled with my results in recording off of vinyl. Recorings seem to have way to much low end (not harmonic rumble) and or too much high end to the point of sounding distorted. I suppose this is an open question as my choice of preamp, cartridge and turntable may be suspect too. Any help would be real appreciated!

Re: Sound Cards

Todd,
    Your answer may be in your question. Your problem may be at any point in the chain. Do you burn CD's? How do the recordings sound played back on other equipment? How do commercial CD's sound on your computer? How do the raw files sound before any manipulation in DCArt? Perhaps you could list your entire chain (including playback).

There are better sound cards than the Soundblaster, but I doubt the Soundblaster would manifest the gross distortions you have described without more being involved. Even things like turntable placement and recording technique play a significant role. I always record with speakers off to prevent feedback. I also had to isolate my computer, which is in built in cabinetry to prevent low end rumble. You might try a test that was revealing to me. Place the needle in the run in groove with the platter still. Record about 30 seconds, then play back while watching the spectrum analyzer. This will graphically display the "sound of nothing", all the mechanical and electronic noise being introduced by your system.

Doug

Comment

My turntables (Dual) automaticly start when the tonearm is over the record. Will this work:
      1) with the turntable running but the needle in the air?
      2) with the turntable not running and the tonearm in the rest position?
      3) with the needle in the groove but the turntable unplugged?
      Or is there some other test which would give useful results.

For example I decided to get an out-board A to D unit when I recorded with nothing plugged into the sound card and heard all kinds of noise.

Cyril

Comment

Cyril,

I just upgraded my Dual 1229 to a Technics SP-15. I was more impressed by how well the Dual sounded than by how much improvement the Technics gave me (don't tell my wife). Oh well, the Dual, which I bought new in 1973 has gone to a new home, where it is still appreciated.

To answer your question: Unplug the Dual. You could actually do a couple of tests - one with the tonearm suspended and the turntable spinning to measure motor noise, bearing rumble and the like and the other test for environmental influences. The first test will be largely academic because there won't be able to change things to minimize the noise, other than lubrication and cleaning. The second test may help pinpoint some environmental elements that can be changed.

Happy restoring.
        Doug
        P.S. My wife pointed out that I might have too many 78's if it is mathmatically impossible to listen to them all in my projected remaining life span.

Comment

Except for the nicety of the digital readout, an SP-15 seems like overkill for shellac. At least your LPs should sound much better.

If I were to "upgrade" from Dual, Thorens, etc. for 78 playback, it'd be to a heavy older model broadcast turntable like Gates, Rec-o-cut, etc., that's better designed to deal with rough playing surfaces and high tracking forces.

I've noticed that for casual listening I enjoy most of my accoustic-era recordings more on a decent wind-up than through a stereo (unprocessed except mono blend and eq roll off). I'm anxious to see what kind of results I get by doing the intitial transfers to hard drive from the Victrola via microphone and then applying Diamond Cut.

(Sorry for taking leading this thread further off topic.)

Comment

Working...
          X