stereo to mono

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stereo to mono

I have some tapes that were recorded using hald-held microphones in stereo. I would like to be able to take the two channels in the original signal and just keep the signal that appears in both of them (to cut out microphone movement, etc.). I thought the adaptive filter might be able to do that, by using one channel as a reference and using "keep residue," but that doesn't seem to work (unless there is a setting I haven't figure out yet). Similarly, the l-r in file conversion doesn't seem to be able to do this.

Is this possible to do?
    Thanks,

Dan McDonald
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 06-04-2019, 05:14 PM.
    Dan McDonald

Re: stereo to mono

Have you done any experiments with the "Channel Blender?" This does wonders on stereo records having a lot of rumble and stereo multiplex broadcasts with multipath distortion and noise. If the noise is of the correct phasing between the two channels, you may be able to reduce the mike handling effect.
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Thanks, Craig. I haven't but will try it this week.

Dan
      Dan McDonald

Comment

Craig -

The channel blender helps a bit in reducing the noise, but can't exactly get at what I need, which is to keep whatever signal is present on both channels, and discarding everything else. Can you think of any other way to accomplish that?

Thanks for your help,

Dan McDonald
        Dan McDonald

Comment

Did you try the Channel Blender with one of the two channels check-boxed as phase inverted? (Do not check both, else that will put you back to where you started from!) That is what you provide you with the noise cancelation that you are looking for. After you check one of the two, then experiment with the controls and the crossover frequency for the best effect.
          "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Thanks, Craig. I tried the phase inversion and experimented with the cross-over frequency, but couldn't get it right. Maybe I just didn't try enough combinations. Thanks - I'll keep working on it.

Dan
            Dan McDonald

Comment

Working...
            X