Normalizing cuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Normalizing cuts

OK folks, my new problem is how to 'easily' normalize compilations especially when the original characteristics of certain tracks are such that most of the song is soft with a few spikes that bring the db up enough so that normalizing would not touch the soft parts.

What I have to end up doing is use the VU meter and selectively apply 'File Conversion'
    to bring up the db [or vice versa] - otherwise the listener would have to keep fiddling with the stereo volume for the soft songs.

Is there an easier - or better - way to do this? I have tried the ALC on the Dynamics Processor but the results have not been at all satisfactory.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-30-2019, 09:47 AM.

Re: Normalizing cuts

You might try the Punch and Crunch Filter (in compress mode). Give it a try, it works well when you get the hang of it.

Comment

The dynamic processor also works well for this and is pretty easy to use. Set the threshold high so it only compresses the occassional transient peaks and passes the rest of the material as is.

Comment

Thank you both for your comments - I'll give them a whirl and let you know how I did.

Comment

Weskola,

To get that "sparkle" I do the following. I perform a pass through the VVA using the exciter mode. Adjust the operating point control to about one third up from the bottom. Next, I run another pass of the VVA using the 12AT7 triode in "sweet" mode. This tube was designed as an RF mixer and therefore creates a large number of harmonics. Lastly, I go to the punch and crunch effect and adjust the highest frequency band til I get what I desire. Sometimes, I also give a little bass compression with the P & C effect.
          "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Thanks, Craig. I followed your suggestions and I like the result. I built a multi-filter with 2 VVA settings and 1 P&C setting.

For the first VVA I started with the "default" preset, selected "exciter" mode and placed the operating point about 1/3 from the bottom. On the second VVA I selected the "default" preset and selected "12AT7" and "sweet". For the second VVA I may play around with using the "Triode Tube Pre-Amplifier 3" preset.

For the P&C setting I started with the "Light Compression/Balanced Spectrum" preset. I moved the "Highs" up to about -30 dB and the "Lows" up a couple of dBs. I didn't touch the "ratio" but I needed to bring the "output level" down a bit to prevent overloading.

I will need to play around with some settings in order to reduce the slight distortion introduced on very high passages. But, I like this combination. Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

I have been playing around with a lot of things to address this issue. I have also been searching for the best combination of filters to address the issue of slightly muddied or muffled sounds. My wav files sound OK but they are still a little bit flat. I'm looking for ways to add some clarity and a touch of sparkle. I'm finding that using the graphics EQ is not really the best way to go. So far, I have the most success using a combination of the Virtual Valve Amplifier and the Punch and Crunch in compressed mode. While this gets me very close to what I would like to hear, there always seems to be just a little something lacking.

Does anyone have any suggestions as far as what has best worked for them? Any preset suggestions you would like to share? What should I be trying to do to add clarity and richer dynamic range to my files? I'm close to where I want to go but I'm open to any suggestions that may help me get closer.

Comment

I too thank you Craig. That advice opened up some new options with features that I'd not been getting great results with.

Applied to a live cassette recording of a chamber orchestra, I found that the 12AT7 made the strings sound synthesized unless set so low that it might as well not be there. But I was able to use the exciter to good effect and combined that with two Punch & Crunch filters, one on compression and one on expansion, both used lightly.

Comment

Beautman,

If the 12AT7 bias paramaters are set correctly, it should not produce a synthesized sound. I only get that "raspy effect" if one of the following situations is true for the 12AT7 VVA:

A. The Operating point is not set approximately in the center (in other words, it must be set up for class A operation through its entire conduction cycle)

B. Its Drive Level must not exceed the Conduction limits (in other words, it must not be allowed to go into cutoff or saturation during any part of the applied signal waveform.)

C. It must not be used in "Wideband" mode

If those things are taken care of, you should get a very natural sounding synthesis of the high end of the spectrum. Just use the Mix control to choose the amount of this effect that you need. BTW - some high end recording studios "hot-rod" their condensor tube mike companies (like the olde tube Neumans) by replacing the normal 12AX7 dual triodes with the 12AT7. I personally think this is nuts because it is very hard to remove this effect once it is imparted onto the signal. Also, the 12AX7 requires a substantially different set of bias voltages for correct operation compared to the 12AX7 tube. You can always add this sort of effect later in the recording process, is my own personal thinking on this subject. So, I prefer to have NO tubes in the signal path of my sound system, except during the final mastering process when needed.

Comment

I've also been getting that "raspy" sound on some high passages and I've been playing around with some of the controls to reduce it. If these filters are in a multi-filter, it seems that each one can contribute to this sound or at least magnify what one of the others has done.

Beautman, I'm curious about the settings you use for compression and expansion. What do you use for settings and why? What does each one do for the sound? What does expansion do that compression cannot do and vice versa? I've played with the combination a little and I think I can get some interesting results in time.

The only thing I know about sound frequencies or the musical spectrum is the end-result: what sounds good to me. The problem is that what sounds good on my headphones (a very good set, by the way)as I preview the filters does not necessarily sound the same in the car or the home stereo. With Craig's help I am getting closer and I am always open to suggestions from others.

Comment

One way that you can get a "raspy" sound out of the multi-filter is by driving any one of the modules with too much signal. That is why any module that can produce more than "unity" gain has an output gain control. Like any analog system with many components cascaded, you can get "gain build-up" and "clipping" overload by the Multi-Filter itself. Be careful to keep your output levels low, especially when using such effects as the Punch and Crunch, VVA, Reverb, Dynamics Processor, or the Graphic or the Paragraphic Equalizers. It is better to err on the side of gain which is too low compared to gain that is too high on any of the filters or effects used in the multi-filter. You can always correct for the final output gain later in the process by using the Edit menu in conjunction with gain change. Alternatively, you can use the CD menu with the Gain Normalize function.

Comment

By "synthesized" I didn't mean the raspy sound, which I know how to deal with. I meant that the 12AT7 made the string parts sound, to a degree, like they were being played on a digital keyboard rather than on real wood and gut instruments. I've heard a similar effect on recordings made on those early digital prosumer recorders that used VHS tape (audio only).

Weskola - I'll try to reply to you when I have a bit more time.

Comment

Working...
                        X