Audio Leveling Techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio Leveling Techniques

I have a lot of music files that I want to adjust the audio so that they are all basically equal and the sound levels between songs does not change perceptively. What is the best way to do this across many files? Is there a way to "batch" this process? Any help will be appreciated. Love your products. Been around since DC6 era.
    Last edited by Craig Maier; 05-19-2019, 10:03 AM.

Hi,

The Batch processor has what you are looking for. It is called Auto Leveling. Just populate the files you want to have the same loudness and use the Auto Leveling feature and it will be done. It may take some time to perform the algorithm, depending on the number of files, file length, etc.

Craig
    "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

I found this in the helpfile pertaining to auto leveling:
      Auto Leveling

Match Volumes of Numerous Wave Files with Auto Leveling

The Auto Leveling routine is contained only in the Batch Editor which is found under the Filter Menu. It allows you to make .wav files sound very similar in loudness across a number of files. It performs this function by calculating a combination of the RMS and Peak values of each of the files and normalizing them while accounting for both parameters and assuring that none of the .wav files overload. This functionality is quite different compared to the Gain Normalize feature in which a single file is normalized in gain with respect to its own peak value. The Auto Leveling routine has no specific controls unto itself. It uses the generic controls associated with the Batch Editor. To operate the Auto Leveling feature, highlight the Auto Leveling Icon. Then merely use the

Comment

For some reason, the entire topic would not copy to the forum regarding auto leveling. Just goto the help menu and click index and then auto leveling and the tutorial will come up.

Craig

Comment

Alternatively, you can use Normalize Gain Scaling found under the CD Prep menu. But that only works on the peak value of the file waveform (one file at a time) whereas the auto leveling works both on the peak and the RMS values including calculations based on all listed files.

Craig
          Last edited by Craig Maier; 04-19-2018, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Craig, thanks much. This was a lot of information you added, and I certainly appreciate this and will follow the first method. Even if it take all night to do three or four albums worth it will be well worth it. I have a 1 TB hard drive in this old XPS-700 and the latest release of Win 10 Pro in the fast release lane and this machine really trucks along well. Probably on it's last legs for any updates and then time for another new monster machine!!

Comment

Yeah, computers do not get tired on large tasks, just a bit warm. lol

Craig

Comment

Working...
              X