Music Restoration Handbook is Back In-Stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Group,

I have started a major re-write of my Restoration Book and will issue a new edition (fourth) when finished. I will wait to print more books until the work has been finished, so the Book will not be available for awhile. I am planning to use most of January 2021 to update the book.

I'll update info when finished.

Marc

Comment

We ran out of stock on the previous book today, Jan 1st.

Craig
      "Who put orange juice in my orange juice?" - - - William Claude Dukenfield

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Hildebrant View Post
        Group,

I have started a major re-write of my Restoration Book and will issue a new edition (fourth) when finished. I will wait to print more books until the work has been finished, so the Book will not be available for awhile. I am planning to use most of January 2021 to update the book.

I'll update info when finished.

Marc
        Greetings from Penrith Australia
        i have been using Diamond cut products since dc6. I currently have version 10.7
        I am a big fan of the software and I am not bad at using the program but there is still much to learn . i have some restorations that i am not completely happy with and would like to redo if i can become more proficient with the software.
        My wife thinks i am a perfectionist and I believe Marc's book would benefit my learning and make the restoration tasks be completed faster.
        I am set to inherit my dads music collection which includes over 400 lp records and 200 cassettes. I would really like to purchase Marc's book before doing any more copying/restoring and enhancement.
        The price of shipping to Australia is exorbitant and i was wondering if Marc and Diamond cut would consider releasing the book as a digital download to assist in keeping it affordable for people like me

keep safe
        nick

Comment

Hi,

It's Marc's work and IP, so we will have to see what he says about it. I can think of one big potential issue and that is piracy once it is in the digital domain. Maybe there is a way to protect it, but I do not know. Our software is protected, but a book may be a different animal.

Craig
          Last edited by Craig Maier; 02-11-2021, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Maier View Post
            Hi,

It's Marc's work and ip, so we will have to see what he says about it. I can think of one big potential issue and that is piracy once it is in the digital domain. Maybe there is a way to protect it, but I do not know. Our software is protected, but a book may be a different animal.

Craig
            One way to protect digital rights would be to implement a online log in process connected to license numbers for your software, logging in would be compulsory to use the product. You could add attachments such as Marc's book or other products you have for sale as download links, with or without their own license numbers. An encryption app could be installed on your server to make it unusable for anyone trying to copy the encrypted material. Usage could be monitored to help ascertain license breaches ( I do not know if this is possible a web developer would need to be consulted) Adding updates to the book can be made at a cost on the license as the software is developed rather than having to rewrite and republish the book

When i was a kid there was a lot of concern that photo copiers would destroy the market for book sales but that never eventuated. If someone wanted to digitize and pirate Marc's book a paper copy and a mobile phone would be all that is needed. I think it would be easier to protect digital media than printed material. For the record i have no interest in becoming a pirate or paying a pirate for stolen intellectual property. I applaud Diamond cut for recognizing Marc's propriety and leaving the distribution methods up to him.

The freight companies, airlines and the government would be the only ones to profit by shipping tangible product. To ship from the USA to Australia takes about three weeks. A digital download would only be restricted by the speed of the internet connection. A book could be downloaded in less than a minute. A digital download would also take out the cost of the printed pages and handling costs

With it costing $1.37 Australian to purchase $1.00 American the cost of shipping adds up quickly. When i purchased DC6 and Dc7 paying for and waiting for the cds and manuals to be sent to Australia was not an issue. Now my manuals are coffee stained and dirty from handling. Since then i have become a disability pensioner and i have to be very wary of how i spend my money, Any way to save money helps me a lot and i am sure there would be other Diamond Cut users in my situation.

I think Marc's work would be a worthwhile purchase. There are many benefits for issuing a download of the book please ask Marc to consider it

nick

Comment

Hi Pacman,

Thanks for the ideas which I will pass along to Marc. He will probably respond to the idea(s) here on this forum.

Thanks,

Craig

Comment

Group,

Couple of things...

1. I have finished my update to the Handbook and it's now at a fourth edition. I have added a large section on my Acoustic "Correction" method that improves sound from these records, along with tweaks to filter settings and more info on setting up sound cards.

2. With regard to sending the Handbook via digital download, I'm still digesting various techniques so please send them in to the forum or directly to me. My E-Mail is the same one I use for my Podcast at: vic_trolla@outlook.com

Marc

Comment

Group,

All the encryption methods I have found to date will allow the user who receives the encrypted version to create a clean pdf version from their bought copy. If the user can create a pdf file for their use, then it seems that this clean version could then be sent to everyone without the author (me) receiving any money for his work.

Did I miss something ? I would like to offer a paperless version, but the only solution that I know is to use the same business model that Kindle does where a special reader is used for the download.

Marc

Comment

Is there a method in which the .pdf download 'plants' something in the registry? When purchased, a serial number would be sent to the customer. This small bit of code would check the serial number coupled with the computers cpu serial number in order for it to run. It would not run on any other combination of book serial number and cpu serial number. Not sure if it would work, but it is a thought.

Craig

Comment

I was hanging out for a digital download but i just purchased the book. guess i really wanted it.

Comment

Thanks - we think that you will enjoy the book. We have not figured out a practical way to protect .pdfs from piracy. We do have a pretty tight system for the software, but that is quite a different situation, since we have things digitally embedded in the software for piracy protection.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                        X